• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The story behind the AR-3500!

Well all i Know is the AR3500 (i had the 100 watt version of the AR-3300 and if memory serves that was the AR-3500)

That was what i was using in the mid 80's in my car
that radio (AR-3500) destroyed all the other base units in the area

the later RCI-2970 was nowhere near as good as my older AR-3500

was it as good as top notch HF rigs of the time
(as the artical suggests)
i am unsure since i myself had not tried any other HF rigs of the time

however on 11 meters i worked most of the world on my AR-3500
(bought from coper electronics...who back then were one of the better companies to buy your CB's and 10 meter rigs from)

I wish i still had it
My car was broken into and it was stolen
(even the index card i had with the frequency's for cb channels was stolen with the radio)

Oh and that was the radio i used a couple of times to block cop cars from talking to or hearing their headquarters when i was pulled over speeding
(since that department used 32 Mhz to talk and hear on)

perhaps i will pick one up if i ever see one being sold
but then it does not stack up to todays better HF radios

Then again
We always seem to remember our older gear as being better then they were.....who knows...LOL

the AR3500 and 2970 are not even related to each other way different radios from 2 different companies/manufacturers.

Have 2 from Bob....3500 100 watts. Both have the sp1a in them also....I bought them new from Bob. Would never sell them.

Peace Yota

KingCobra_CDX882 said:
Oh and that was the radio i used a couple of times to block cop cars from talking to or hearing their headquarters when i was pulled over speeding

More deatails on this please.

IMD262 said:
KingCobra_CDX882 said:

More deatails on this please.

Sounds far-fetched to me.LIke QRN said in the other thread, public saftey radios have balls to the wall filtering

I still run my AR3300 100 watt everyday in the mobile
send it out to bob's last winter for a check up and he offered to buy it from me. I have had this radio sense 1987 and have not found any thing that sounds or receives as good ill never get rid of this one

Ah yes engineered by Victor T. One of the best in the business. He was certainly Sam's golden goose so to speak. The AR series were radios far ahead of there time. I hear Vic is changing the audio world for his current boss.

8)

not a galaxy/rci fan, but, i HAVE to agree with GRTS 100%-The AR series were radios far ahead of there time. and, fatdude1-have not found any thing that sounds or receives as good ill never get rid of this one-again, no argument here! it ain't a $10k ic7800, but then again, neither is a 756pro! ar3500, 150 watts with the factory installed sp1 & variable output-the ABSOLUTE best CB radio EVER made!

they or it was not a cb radio , 10 meter . I said in another post , it was a great SSB radio for me but AM audio sucked !! .......I know ! I wouldn't know a good cb radio if it jumped up and hit me upside the head !! One things for sure though .......I had no problem selling it after it collected dust for a few months. :) IM not putting it down so to speak ......it just didn't float my AM boat on the 11 meter band.

did yours have the speech processor, switch kit? with mine 'off', i get awesome AM audio reports. with it on, fugghedaboutit! its audio is just incredible! SSB is, well, you know that! on AM, i have NO radio that gets anywhere NEAR the compliments my 3500 gets. not just LOUD, but clean, clear & crisp as well.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.