• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The tower is up!!

Great Job Bobby & Wife ! I wish I could get my wife to climb the ladder up 30' to my roof to help me put my Beam up that's getting ready for it's 3rd Anniversary in the box on my garage floor !:whistle::LOL: Making progress , my CDE rotor I've had in the box for years decided it didn't want to work , a local Op has it & is trying to fix it , my guess ? Been sitting so long grease is probably like cement ! I didn't attempt to fix because lately every thing I touch ... turns to :censored: ! Nothing like a shiny new tower ! That's almost exactly how I have my 30' Galv. push pole mounted . 15 years ago I put it up , fully extended w/ A-99 mounted to it ! Now ... :whistle: I don't think I could hold the A-99 up that long . :ROFLMAO: Stay Healthy & safe ! 73 & God Bless ! Leo

Great Job Bobby & Wife ! I wish I could get my wife to climb the ladder up 30' to my roof to help me put my Beam up that's getting ready for it's 3rd Anniversary in the box on my garage floor !:whistle::LOL: Making progress , my CDE rotor I've had in the box for years decided it didn't want to work , a local Op has it & is trying to fix it , my guess ? Been sitting so long grease is probably like cement ! I didn't attempt to fix because lately every thing I touch ... turns to :censored: ! Nothing like a shiny new tower ! That's almost exactly how I have my 30' Galv. push pole mounted . 15 years ago I put it up , fully extended w/ A-99 mounted to it ! Now ... :whistle: I don't think I could hold the A-99 up that long . :ROFLMAO: Stay Healthy & safe ! 73 & God Bless ! Leo

Hey LEO: Let me know what working Control Box you have for the Rotor(?)....
Will be picking up next couple weeks and Estate Sale group of CDE and/or HyGain Rotors :)
Not exactly sure of Model #'s but most are Bell shaped like the older
CDE/HyGain' s !~
Not even sure how many yet, was told at least 4-5. May need reconditioned, but Norm's Rotor service may be getting a load from me for that very reason.
Soooo! May have something soon to ship you!!!~~~!:whistle:
All the Best
Gary

Yep, that is way cool, I mean the job you and your wife did.

Me and my wife done this tower and antenna project in August 2019. We spent about 2 1/2 months to complete it.
45' tower, self suppoprting, tilt over with electric winch ..........
What is the height from the base of the rasing fixture beam? Thank you.

What is the height from the base of the rasing fixture beam? Thank you.
the I-beam is 20' long, with 5' in the concrete, and 15' up the side of the tower.

Attachments

• 20190925_174642.jpg
    20190925_174642.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
  • 20190929_173009.jpg
    20190929_173009.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
  • 20190929_173027.jpg
    20190929_173027.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
  • 20191013_125750.jpg
    20191013_125750.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
Tilted over, I haven't taken photos yet, but I have also installed a tilt plate at the top of the mast and the antenna stays in the horizontal position now all the way down to the ground.
I use these two antennas for 10 meters and 11 meters.
I also have an OCF wire off the side of the tower at 40 ' for 80 thru 6 meters.
Works pretty darn good.
takes about 10 minutes or so to prepare to lower the tower. While I'm pulling the 1/2" pins from the legs, the wife is connecting the 120V extension cord to the 1500 lb. capacity Warn winch.
I pull on the front side of the tower to help get it started coming down and she operates the winch buttons. Then I stand back and she does the button pushing.
Very convenient one man operation, but she likes to operate the winch buttons for me.

Attachments

• 20191015_131802.jpg
    20191015_131802.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 21
  • 20191018_170947.jpg
    20191018_170947.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Tilted over, I haven't taken photos yet, but I have also installed a tilt plate at the top of the mast and the antenna stays in the horizontal position now all the way down to the ground.
Thank you for the response. I just finish digging the hole and making the form for Universal HD35-40 tower and raising fixture (6"X3" Steel tube, 9.5' above and 4.5 in the concrete base).

Attachments

• Universal HD35-40 + Tube fixture.jpg
    Universal HD35-40 + Tube fixture.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
Thank you for the response. I just finish digging the hole and making the form for Universal HD35-40 tower and raising fixture (6"X3" Steel tube, 9.5' above and 4.5 in the concrete base).
Looks very good also.
The 20' I-beam I used is what I already had on hand out here on the ranch.
Having 15' above ground just reduces the load on the winch, and the stress on the tower.
What you are doing will probably work just as good as what I did.

But how are you going to tilt the tower over ? looks like you have a fence blocking your tilt path.

Last edited:
You are absolutely correct, higher beam reduces the load on the winch and rope tension is less. For this reason I will use 2 pulley blocks: the first will be at the tower center of gravity (in my case it is 26' from the bottom) and second one will be at 8'. I plan to attach AC Winch and set the steel rope very similar to what you did. Once I am ready I will share photos.

Reactions: Ranch55
You are absolutely correct, higher beam reduces the load on the winch and rope tension is less. For this reason I will use 2 pulley blocks: the first will be at the tower center of gravity (in my case it is 26' from the bottom) and second one will be at 8'. I plan to attach AC Winch and set the steel rope very similar to what you did. Once I am ready I will share photos.
A good catch, the fence section being an obstacle for tilting: I will turn it into a gate.

Reactions: Ranch55

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.