• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The Ultimate Newbie !!!!!

s-l300.jpg
actually i am looking for brand new unit
Your actually looking for a Unicorn.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Do you know what frequencies the stations you want to receive are transmitting on?

Everyone seems to have assumed that you want to receive shortwave stations but I didn't see you actually say that, just want to make sure there are no mistakes regarding just what kind of stations you're trying to bring in.
no i didn't say that i want to listen to SW station.
i just want to listen to normal radio stations from different countries .
stations within the range of 4500 Km (2800 miles) away at max .
but normal talk show, music ,....etc public stations

everybody here suggested SW radio so i assumed that this the type of radio that i need to for.
am i missing something here ??!

Again....still waiting for a reply to my post #3 above. Where are you and where do you want to listen to "back home"I think you mentioned. Normal AM won't do it. FM definitely won't do it. Shortwave might do it if the countries have a shortwave service. Longwave might be the best bet hiwever that depends on the answers to my questions.

Again....still waiting for a reply to my post #3 above. Where are you and where do you want to listen to "back home"I think you mentioned. Normal AM won't do it. FM definitely won't do it. Shortwave might do it if the countries have a shortwave service. Longwave might be the best bet hiwever that depends on the answers to my questions.
currently I am located in Turkey and i want to listen to stations from Africa
as I said within the range of 4500 Km (2800 miles) away at max

If you have a computer or smartphone you should check out Online SDR (Software defined Radio) you can tune in Broadcast radio , as well as Ham radio, beacons and others from around the world. It's pretty neat. Give it a try.

WOW that seams great but the whole purpose of the experience is to set at balcony at night listen to noisy radio while playing some chess
I mean the real physical radio experience....
besides, it seams like there is no operating SDR server in the region and all available one are very far from Africa and thus cannot catch the stations that i an looking for
i was looking at that today, and there is a sdr station in Greece, so you might try that. in the band selection go to MW which is AM. I heard a bunch of music that sounded like it may have came from your current location. Just a thought.

-- ... ...--

am i missing something here ??!

It's the radio frequency that is the most important part.

We need to know what stations are transmitting in the area you want to listen to and what frequencies they are transmitting on, then an appropriate radio can be recommended.

Also keep in mind that not all radio frequencies are able to travel long distances, certain radio stations won't be received with any radio. If you stick with radio as a hobby you'll soon learn that a lot of different variables are strongly influenced by the frequency of the signal.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?