• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Things that work!

The20poundhammer

May 23, 2016
McKee Ky
There are tons of stuff out there that we can buy that looks like a world beater. I have bought stuff like that and they were a turd. I got a Palstar AT2K from HRO and i will say it looks good and works better. Tuned my 11 meter quad on 40 20 and 10 meters to a 1:1 swr and 0 reflect. Cant say enough about this so far. Also the packing and shipping from HRO were outstanding.

I use it to tunee my now 77 feet vertical from 160 to 20 meter.
It was an inverted L till an icestorm took the top wire off.
Still works good on 160 with 3000 feet copper wire as radials, as it does on 80/40/20 thanks to the 998.
running 900 watts through that from the HEathkit SB-1000.

Reactions: Rwb
I use it to tunee my now 77 feet vertical from 160 to 20 meter.
It was an inverted L till an icestorm took the top wire off.
Still works good on 160 with 3000 feet copper wire as radials, as it does on 80/40/20 thanks to the 998.
running 900 watts through that from the HEathkit SB-1000.
Now THAT'S a lot of wire! I used about 2 1\2 miles of old disconnected telegraph wire as an antenna one time using the same tuner. Worked awesome! Put new meaning to the phrase "long wire"......;-)....

Cleared out an old shop once that had an lot of house wiring in spools left, so took it for my endeavours in radial laying.....till there was not a spot left to put in copper wires anymore on my plot of land.
Could not measure any difference after the first 2000 feet though, but kept adding till the whole place looks like a copper plate under the soil and pavemment...;)

dont forget the FLEXSEAL
they make a glue
for everthing you do
must admit it sealed some connections up well
and their new tv commercial where they seal the dam,fix the lighthouse n save the boat top the chart.
made me think THE REAL PORKCHOP was involved making the commercials

He used the stuff that comes in a can and brushed it on but he had a fairly large area he wanted to seal. Only problem i see is getting it off if you have to change connections.

First thing the commercial tower crews do:
Use courtesy tape. Just the usual 3M verity put a wrap around the connector nice and even then they use stuff they called Mastic, one layer then another layer of vinyl tape forming a seal.
I have recently put the courtesy tape and sprayed flex seal to test it, Only been in the air a month and still RF wise checks good. I'll take the antenna down this fall when weather cools off and open it up to see the result.
The courtesy tape is called that as all you need is a sharp raiser knife and make one slice and the tape takes off the Mastic and the flex seal in one operation. If you get too much mastic goop and it oozes out. just leave it alone until you have to take the connection apart. Then clean it off using Zippo lighter fluid. Just a little dissolves the goop mastic.
They also use this connector seal made by Andrews corp. that has a spiral pull inside the tube when the spiral plastic is pulled out the tube shrinks rapidly. Nice stuff and easy to remove but for me it is expensive. No heat needed.
Another trick I have seen them use is wrap the tape on a screw driver back ward (sticky side out) then start the tape on the connector and unwrap using the screw driver to unwind the tape. Takes a little practice.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.