• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Thinking about a Lincoln II+ mod and hoping it can happen !

whiteastro

Feb 22, 2019
Was wondering if any radio Techs out there have ever added a Galaxy FC-347 or a Ranger FC-390 frequency counter to a Lincoln II+ radio and made it fully functional even with the VFO ? Their built in frequency display is a joke because it is really just a channel display. I use the FC-347 on both of my Galaxy DX 979 radios and really enjoy the large & bright display and just think it would be a great addition to the Lincoln II+ if it could be wired in to work proper. Of coarse with No electronic training or experience with schematics I wouldn't attempt it myself but wouldn't mind paying someone to do it if it was possible without screwing up the radio. Any info would be appreciated on the subject !

Thanks in advance
Mike

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

In theory your idea sounds great but I'm willing to bet it's quite the modification to make it happen. I'm curious to see what this thread comes up with.
Your probably right ! But there is a lot of experience in here so we will have to be patient and see how it plays out. LOL

I guess my thread got buried before the right person found it so I'll bring it up again. Thanks

The Lincoln II and other newer SSB radios (Madison, BC980SSB, others) use a
37 MHz PLL VCO range, (27 MHz + 10.695 MHz IF),

I believe the Galaxy FC-347, Ranger FC-390 are designed to "see" either
16 MHz PLL VCO (27 MHz - 10.695 MHz IF)

or possibly by soldering a jumper blob, "see"
34 MHz PLL VCO (27 MHz + 7.8 MHz IF) in the Cobra 148GTL, Grant XL or other 8719 type radios.

It might possibly be done, but the PLL VCO would have to be up mixed or down mixed with another offset frequency to get to either one of the above (16 or 34) frequency ranges.

Last edited:
The Lincoln II and other newer SSB radios (Madison, BC980SSB, others) use a
37 MHz PLL VCO range, (27 MHz + 10.695 MHz IF),

I believe the Galaxy FC-347, Ranger FC-390 are designed to "see" either
16 MHz PLL VCO (27 MHz - 10.695 MHz IF)

or possibly by soldering a jumper blob, "see"
34 MHz PLL VCO (27 MHz - 7.8 MHz IF) in the Cobra 148GTL, Grant XL or other 8719 type radios.

It might possibly be done, but the PLL VCO would have to be up mixed or down mixed with another offset frequency to get to either one of the above (16 or 34) frequency ranges.
The counter comes with a extra wiring harness in the box for soldering in a Cobra 148 GTL or a Amateur radio SS-3900 which I think is a Galaxy III and the instructions say it will work on frequency range 1~40 Mhz if that tells you anything. Sorry I haven't had electronic training ! But thanks for the come-back.

What you really need is some clear pictures of the circuit board showing where each wire should go. Just one problem. Until someone sits down with those two items and works out the hookup, this info doesn't exist.

Thanks nomadradio for the comeback. I know it is tuff to say without looking at the stuff in front of you but at least you make me think it is possible. Sure wish you lived next door, I'd keep you busy. LOL

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.