• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

thinking about getting a better meter .....

B

BOOTY MONSTER

ive got an astatic 700 meter with the nice big meter .
astatic-700-lg.jpg

im thinking about getting a better meter but i dont want to spend a lot . i know the palstars are accurate and well built but it only has a 300 watt and 2000 watt selection but id like a smaller scale to use for barefoot radios .

anyhow MFJ (mighty fine junk?) has a neat lookin new meter thats digital and tells vswr , power and frequency all at the same time on a LCD display , its the mfj-826B . $180
MFJ-826B.jpg

it can be had for $130 though https://www.hamcity.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=155&idproduct=1834
heres its manual MFJ Enterprises Inc.

it also has a big brother
MFJ-828.jpg

MFJ Enterprises Inc.

IF.....if i did get a new meter does anyone know if this would be worth considering ?
if its anything like their analizers it should be pretty accurate . it would be coll to have a frequency counter too .

anyway , just thinking ..................................

astatic-700-lg.jpg

im thinking about getting a better meter but i dont want to spend a lot . i know the palstars are accurate and well built but it only has a 300 watt and 2000 watt selection but id like a smaller scale to use for barefoot radios .

anyhow MFJ (mighty fine junk?) has a neat lookin new meter thats digital and tells vswr , power and frequency all at the same time on a LCD display , its the mfj-826B . $180
MFJ-826B.jpg

it can be had for $130 though https://www.hamcity.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=155&idproduct=1834

MFJ-828.jpg

MFJ Enterprises Inc.

IF.....if i did get a new meter does anyone know if this would be worth considering ?
if its anything like their analizers it should be pretty accurate . it would be coll to have a frequency counter too .

I have been thinking about doing the same thing. I like the MFJ and the frequency counter is a plus. I did a little research on them and didn't find anything negative about them.

Depends what you want to measure.
I'm using Daiwa CN801HP to measure output power and control SWR on the fly, for serious antenna work I'm using Vector Network Analyser.
Don't need more :) I see what I need to see.
Mike

One guy said in the eham review of this unit, that it compared accurately to his Bird meter.
That's quite a compliment.

On the other hand...
Another poster said that it couldn't be accurate - because his rig couldn't be putting out that much power.

Personally, I'd believe the guy with the Bird meter.
At least he could say something definitive.
Has anybody heard - that the Bird is the word?
Ba baba -umma mao mao...

I have an MFJ-993B.
It has the same basic unit inside with an automatic tuner - called the 'Intelli-tuner'.
But that is used with my Icom IC-718.
I suppose I could use it on my CB with a diverting switch; but I have a proper tune on my IMAX and don't like running anything inline if I don't have to.

My Dosy TC-4002-SW isn't all that accurate compared to a Bird; but it works well enough for tuning up my own stuff. The dead key reading is accurate. I just factor in an additional 15% extra on the top for the PEP reading. That's how I roll...

Last edited:
Those meters look like they could be worth trying out for the price. Personally, I like a cross needle meter for tuning up wire antennas - it makes it much easier, IMO. I would probably be willing to give that second one you posted a try. It looks like an easy to read, nice working meter with good power handling capability and a frequency counter built in, as well. I bet it's more accurate than the Astatic...

thanks for the comments . i did see the comments at e-ham , but they were for the 826 , im guessing the 826B has had a few bugs/problems corrected ? i guess ill call and ask them about it .

I like the Astatic/Paradynamics meter - for CB stuff. I would have liked to gotten one of those instead of the Dosy I have now. But I bought it for $50 used, so I just shut up and bought it.

anyone ever delt with hamcity ? herd anything good or bad about their customer service and how they are after a sale if theirs a issue ?

i wonder how they can sell it for $50 less than MFJ ?

anyone ever delt with hamcity ? herd anything good or bad about their customer service and how they are after a sale if theirs a issue ?

i wonder how they can sell it for $50 less than MFJ ?

That is where I ordered my LMR-400 from. Good price, shipped on time and they emailed shipping information when it shipped. Will do business with them again.(y)

MFJ advertised price is probably list. I'm still in the market for a meter too. I'm interested in what you get and how you like it. I'll only need 11 meters though and I'd like to leave it inline unless someone can convince why I shouldn't.

im just a chicken bander myself moose . thanks your input ;)
itll be a while befor i do anything , if i do anything at all . just feelin it out right now .

astatic-700-lg.jpg

MFJ-826B.jpg

MFJ-828.jpg

MFJ Enterprises Inc.

There are several differences between these two meters, first and most apparent is the digital/analog thing and does the mfj have a better line section or pickup than the dosey? apples and oranges if the two have comparative readings to a bird meter or infact any other meter you trust.

The only other function that differs between the two in the mfj has a frequency display and not a frequency counter which shows when the rig is keyed up ( I'm assuming it does not show all the time).

If you want the real enchilada then you should just go for this.

bob85.gif

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.