• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Thinking About Getting A Sdr... Which One Is Decent & Cheap?

I'll probably get one later after working with it awhile. I've read some users have been getting down to 10Mhz without.

Wow, that's pretty good. I had heard down to 50 for some (like the Nooelec), and some down to 25. They are fun to play with, that's for sure. I was at a hotel in Knoxville, TN right next to the airport, and listened in on a lot of the air traffic around 125 MHz.

Brett

I'm leaning towards the SDRPlay as well. Seems to be the best bang for the buck even though it's more expensive than some of the others. But it's very powerful with the right software package. Brett seems to have it right.

Just for fun I played around with some of the online SDR receivers available out there. I found one in VA and did some testing on 40M, listening to my audio as I changed mic settings and lit up the amp. Anyway, back to the topic.

Reactions: 2RT307
I always enjoy your YouTube videos. Are you going to do one on your new SDR? 73, Brett
Sorry to disappoint Brett, but probably not on this. There's no value-add that I could contribute to YouTube that has not already been done.

BTW, the bottom end on this SDR is 25Mhz, as per spec. I recall that the others getting below this were using an experimental driver. I'll have to search it out. Overall, I'm liking this unit so far. This solar cycle has flat lined for me up here so I need something to replace the loss.

Reactions: 2RT307
Sorry to disappoint Brett, but probably not on this. There's no value-add that I could contribute to YouTube that has not already been done.

BTW, the bottom end on this SDR is 25Mhz, as per spec. I recall that the others getting below this were using an experimental driver. I'll have to search it out. Overall, I'm liking this unit so far. This solar cycle has flat lined for me up here so I need something to replace the loss.

Well, if it breaks, you can fix it and do a video. :LOL:

I get the band being dead... that's one of the reasons I got my ticket. Lots more places to play now!

Brett

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.