• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Thinking CarlBuilt 400HD for AT6666 combo

Here is the SWR on lowest 3/4w dk power with amp on.

20D97530-A4BF-44AE-91BA-3302D6A2EC33.jpeg

Here it is with higher 7-8w dk and amp on. Shows as 1.9:1 on the radio display. I still get about 50-60w I'd swing on PEP mode. To like 475-500w.

7B162221-E5F7-4C97-93ED-601986505D1A.jpeg

Starts at the 175w dk and swings to like 350w pep with the 3/4w dk.

1E487AE6-A874-429C-9F6B-E52070D68F97.jpeg

Reactions: Slowmover
What’s the plan for now, CB? I think I’d be a bit uncomfortable running HGs at those SWR levels.

Do you think the amplifier is generating harmonics that give the higher reading?

What’s the plan for now, CB? I think I’d be a bit uncomfortable running HGs at those SWR levels.

Do you think the amplifier is generating harmonics that give the higher reading?

From what I can see thru messenger Carl hasn't been online in like 2 days. As my last messages are not even received yet. So I hope he is well.

Probably stick with SSB with it for now. Or run the 296 with it if I decide to do AM mode. Like you said I don't like the high SWR either. Still waiting on RadioWorldUK t send me my Sirio 2016 missing parts so I can get that up and hope it cuts my SWR issues and high qrm issues too.

I dont know if someone said it yet but you need to put it on a dummy load and then look at the numbers. It will help rule out any variables.

I need to find a nice high load. I currently have none and have to buy car/truck tomorrow as my trucks been in shop a month and I'm done with the shop. After that gets squared and I get funds I will check out getting one. Need a 300w one at the minimum. I know my A99 has had issues when the wattage goes up. Thinking it just sucks with high power.

Well, by meter alone, if you're running Class C, that would be about right - low Dead keys, if you think of it this way, are low volume signals arriving into a stage - the amplifier is just sitting idle - so there's noise in all of that (the THD IMD stuff) - so as you improve the signal transfer into the amplifier, the waves it can generate have less IMD but the THD stuff will always be there.

The Class AB stuff - the better the bias that is there - the better the signal transfer into the amp (I'm referring to the admittance) so as I can see, the AB bias kinda "Washes" out the low-level signal but as you swing power into the amp stages, it gets cleaner because it "sees" a more accurate signal to amplify.

So do you do fish, or poultry?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.