1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Thinking of ditching the HF antenna tuner.. doing a fan dipole??

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Antennas' started by PA770, Jul 10, 2018.

1. PA770

PA770 W9WDX Member

Any thoughts on this?

With my MFJ-941e I can tune down to 80m on my endfed, though I rarely go there..

I was thinking of making a fan dipole for 20-40 and just lose the tuner after it's setup or just use bypass option to use this fan as a second antenna option.. it has 2 antenna capability.

Thoughts??

If I'm only doing 2 bands how far apart should I spread the elements on the PVC?

2. sp5it

sp5it Master of puppets

10cm should be enough.
    Mike

3. w9cll

w9cll W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Thats what I run, I made a fan dipole and have elements for 17, 20 and 40. I still use a tuner for 10, 12. 15 loads fine on the 40 meter element.

4. jon666

jon666 Sr. Member

w9cll you use it for 11 meters also come on truth bro lol

5. PA770

PA770 W9WDX Member

So you all think this is a good idea?

I'm guessing direct resonance is better than tuning it with the tuner to make up the difference..

Any one got pics of there's??

And is the whopping 10cm that was quoted for spacing enough?? That's like 2" I believe..

I was thinking more like 4" or so..

6. w9cll

Man I have become the sites whipping boy lately.

7. w9cll

yes its fine, tune the wires but leave then a little long because you will have some interaction between the elements that will require a little pruning.

8. 543_Dallas

543_Dallas Sr. Member

If you can get open wire into the shack this is my suggestion.

http://www.somis.org/bbat.html

Its not as complicated as the article makes it sound. Roll 2 identical coils or splurge for the roller inductors and find a variable capacitor. You can work many bands and have some gain on the higher frequencies.

9. PA770

PA770 W9WDX Member

Unfortunately I have a solid wall with no windows on that side. I already have coax going thru, which for me is easier to deal with.

Going to go with fan dipole and my current end fed, but thank you for the idea..

10. 543_Dallas

543_Dallas Sr. Member

I hear that. My tower and radio room are on opposite ends of the house so ladder line into the shack wasn't happening. I worked around it and put the tuners at the tower base. It's a little inconvenient going outside to change bands but I can grab another beer as I walk by the refrigerator. It kind of works out. :)

PA770 and binrat like this.
  11. JoeDirt

JoeDirt Well-Known Member

I payed around with spacing on a few programs. It seemed to me the closer the elements the better. I would just use a twin lead wire (speaker wire) and call it good.

Before you go with a fan I would do a 80m doublet. Mine is 140' long (keeps the tuner happy) 45' high at the feed point and ends sloped down to 10' off the ground. I get some gain on 20m but its mostly omni on 80m and 40m.

12. JoeDirt

JoeDirt Well-Known Member

I walk by a kegorator, my wife gets pissed If I pee in the back yard but its so convenient!!! The dog pisses out there so I do it out of spite......

13. kopcicle

kopcicle Well-Known Member

14. PA770

PA770 W9WDX Member

I can't do 80m. I don't have the room.
    I live in a mobile home and it kinda has hoa type rules.

I have one tree and the other end would have to go to a pole or something on my roof..

Gonna have a hard time getting the 66' or so for the 40m length..

Saving grace is tree is in back rear corner and maybe I can put up a pole on the front of the house which luckily is a 72' long mobile.

15. BJ radionut

BJ radionut Supporting Member and 6m addict