• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

This is bizzare

I don't know if this will help but it is an experience I had with a brand new Icom 7100.
I bought for a bargain basement price and all the dealer told is it will cut out.
I got the radio hooked it up and started testing. I measured the power supply and it was set 13.9 Vdc. I keyed it up into a test load and it shut down almost immediately.
The only thing that I could see is the the wire feeding.the radio looked a bit small.
I hooked my DVM up to the wires right at the radio and the voltage dropped below 10.8 Vdc. That is where the radio shut down was set to protect the radio. I replaced all of the wire and reheaded the cable. I used heavier gauge wire and soldered the connectors and the wires for the fuses to the spade lugs. A couple of hours of soldering wire stripping and the radio was fixed. If you have a meter check the connector right on the back of the radio and see what your voltage does when you key up.
i was thinking broken wires and you posted this,im thinking we are thinking same general direction,had a galaxy 66v act like that,new wiring harness cured it

AVC - Automatic Volume Control
AGC - Automatic Gain Control

Slightly different names for the very same thing

"Slow" and "Fast" just mean whether it takes a second or two to start functioning (Fast) or longer than that (Slow).

The operating manual for the radio should contain this information.

The only automatic this radio has is squelch, which is turned off

Reactions: Rwb
I don't know if this will help but it is an experience I had with a brand new Icom 7100.
I bought for a bargain basement price and all the dealer told is it will cut out.
I got the radio hooked it up and started testing. I measured the power supply and it was set 13.9 Vdc. I keyed it up into a test load and it shut down almost immediately.
The only thing that I could see is the the wire feeding.the radio looked a bit small.
I hooked my DVM up to the wires right at the radio and the voltage dropped below 10.8 Vdc. That is where the radio shut down was set to protect the radio. I replaced all of the wire and reheaded the cable. I used heavier gauge wire and soldered the connectors and the wires for the fuses to the spade lugs. A couple of hours of soldering wire stripping and the radio was fixed. If you have a meter check the connector right on the back of the radio and see what your voltage does when you key up.

I was thinking maybe a power cord. Im using the stock power cord which i jumped it into my amp power. Afraid of voltage loss, i went to bobs to have it run straight to battery. They used 10g up to the factory power plug and solder them together. About a week after they did that I started to experience that problem which was intermittent until a week ago where it is always happening. Then i cut the stock wire off that 10g and jumped it off my amp wire again to see what happens. The radio came on with only the positive wire hooked. I thinking that stock power wire went bad somehow? Will replace today and see what happens.

Reactions: Rwb and Tallman
i was thinking broken wires and you posted this,im thinking we are thinking same general direction,had a galaxy 66v act like that,new wiring harness cured it

Yea im going to try a new power cord later today.

I was thinking maybe a power cord. Im using the stock power cord which i jumped it into my amp power. Afraid of voltage loss, i went to bobs to have it run straight to battery. They used 10g up to the factory power plug and solder them together. About a week after they did that I started to experience that problem which was intermittent until a week ago where it is always happening. Then i cut the stock wire off that 10g and jumped it off my amp wire again to see what happens. The radio came on with only the positive wire hooked. I thinking that stock power wire went bad somehow? Will replace today and see what happens.
You might have a DC power ground loop. That can cause Chaos in your system.

Reactions: Rwb and Cahtrina
The power wires for the radio must be the primary conduction paths for the radios operation. Conducting through the coax shield can bypass DC power filtering. If the coaxial shield is working as your ground reference it is being mixed in with the RF power return.

You, sir, are a genius. I had to google dc ground loop, I don’t totally understand by i get the concept. So my radio and amp are connected together on battery 1 positive and battery 4 ground. I took radio power wire to positive on battery 4 and the ground on battery 1. And don’t you know that fixed this god awful baffling problem. I did change the radio power plug to be on safe side. Now everything is running correctly and its you and rwb i have to thank. Hats off to y’all and a job well done!

You, sir, are a genius. I had to google dc ground loop, I don’t totally understand by i get the concept. So my radio and amp are connected together on battery 1 positive and battery 4 ground. I took radio power wire to positive on battery 4 and the ground on battery 1. And don’t you know that fixed this god awful baffling problem. I did change the radio power plug to be on safe side. Now everything is running correctly and its you and rwb i have to thank. Hats off to y’all and a job well done!
I try to help whenever I can. Some days chicken, some days just feathers.

Ok so its been 24 hours since I changed positions of power

Ok so its been 24 hours since I switched the power cables around and i do still have that problem however its not nearly as bad. For example, i was running 5db of static on a clear no skip day. When i un key the mic I would lose that 5db of static for 4-5 seconds then it’ll come back on. Now since the switch im running 1.5 db of static on a clear non skip day. 1.5 sounds normal for static, rite? Anyway when i un key the mic i only lose a 1/2 of db, dropping it to 1db of static. Obviously the switch of wires helped drastically and now it’s barely noticeable, however is there anything else i can do? Thank you

Do you have an adjustable SSB delay or is it "Automatic" with no ssb switch?
If so, I bought an amp for my collection that had a slow turn back to receive. It had a small pot that could be adjusted for the SSB delay. I gave it a little tweak and fixed it right up.

Reactions: Cahtrina and Rwb
Do you have an adjustable SSB delay or is it "Automatic" with no ssb switch?
If so, I bought an amp for my collection that had a slow turn back to receive. It had a small pot that could be adjusted for the SSB delay. I gave it a little tweak and fixed it right up.

Its a push button, not sure if its adjustable from the inside. Are you thinking it may be stuck? I mean the switch shows off while im on am.

Reactions: Tallman

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.