• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

this is for nomadradio in kentucky

tunercars

Sep 12, 2012
hey bud can i have you recap align and go through top to bottom and change out the power supply it works but i want to keep it from ever killing the cpu of my Galaxy Saturn Turbo i also need you go through my 2970 recap align and figure out if a wire is lose or broke the s meter dont work on the 2970 but if i put the cpu in a 2950 it works fine i also have a magnum s9 350 that needs the amp section looked at it shows a high reflect with the amp on and its low on power from the amp but turn the amp off the radio dose the right power and swr is 1.2-1.3

Three radios. New power supply for the Turbo sounds routine enough.

The 2970 would be a pretty old radio if you think it's time for a re cap. The very-oldest ones would be close to thirty years old. As for the S-meter I'm sure there's a findable reason for that. Not a cheap operation to recap that radio.

As for the S9-350, it's a fair guarantee that one or more of the four ERF7530 MOSFET transistors in the linear has failed. Just one problem. Can't get them any more. Making a substitute work properly requires one or the other of two things. Either time and money spent to 'tweak' it so new parts you can buy will behave in that circuit. There are candidate parts out there to use.

Or find someone who has already worked out the tweak, and just copy it with new parts. That would be cheaper. If the info is reliable.

We don't have that modification on file here, so it would have to get worked out the hard way.

There's one more bonus. That amplifier will not tolerate any SWR at all. Whether it's an antenna with something loose on it, or a coax connector with a loose braid connection inside. It will be really easy to poof that one soon after it's fixed. Good chance that's how it was put into the damaged condition you described.

Just one obstacle. We don't do shipped-in repairs. Carry in and carry out only. The Turbo might be a same-day job, but not the other two, most likely. The appointment calendar is on the wall at the shop, and I'm at home right now. If memory serves, it's booked through the end of September.

Thanks for thinking of us and 73

the 2970 may not need to be recapped but if it dose we can do that after its looked at and seen if it needs to be done for sure but would like it to be gone through and have the s meter fixed and align

the s9 350 was bought that way so its hard to say what caused it but would bet your right do you have or can you get the ERF9530 i would like to get it to work again if not im willing to go the route your talking about and then maybe take the amp off and put it on the shelf for a while and put the amp section from the LongHorn N6 on it or maybe use an amp section from a 2970N4 or 99N4 or 69FFB4 witch they are basically all the same whichever is easier to get a hold of i would like to try the LongHorn N6 amp section to see if it can get the 600 watts and have it as clean as possible

that would be great if possible to have the Galaxy Saturn Turbo gone through i got it off a guy that his dad passed away and it seems like its not been used in a long time and off frequency that would be great if you can get it done the same day i can carry in and carry out and if you didn't mind i can hang around and learn a thing or two while its being worked on let me know when your next open date is and ill come by in the morning

Reactions: BigLou
yeah i have heard Good things i want to use them so im glad i can get them worked on not a lot of shops left and to many hack shops to just trust my equipment with just anyone

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I'm glad someone asked that question. I've thought about asking Nomadradio about going through my Eagle 500 amp. I drive through Louisville on my way to work and back. I'd rather drop it off and pick it up after what shipping was on my Madison. But it was still worth every penny.
i don't blame you and from what a lot of people have been saying shipping anything heavy has been a nightmare the people have took to seeing how many things they can destroy while shipping

Three radios. New power supply for the Turbo sounds routine enough.

The 2970 would be a pretty old radio if you think it's time for a re cap. The very-oldest ones would be close to thirty years old. As for the S-meter I'm sure there's a findable reason for that. Not a cheap operation to recap that radio.

As for the S9-350, it's a fair guarantee that one or more of the four ERF7530 MOSFET transistors in the linear has failed. Just one problem. Can't get them any more. Making a substitute work properly requires one or the other of two things. Either time and money spent to 'tweak' it so new parts you can buy will behave in that circuit. There are candidate parts out there to use.

Or find someone who has already worked out the tweak, and just copy it with new parts. That would be cheaper. If the info is reliable.

We don't have that modification on file here, so it would have to get worked out the hard way.

There's one more bonus. That amplifier will not tolerate any SWR at all. Whether it's an antenna with something loose on it, or a coax connector with a loose braid connection inside. It will be really easy to poof that one soon after it's fixed. Good chance that's how it was put into the damaged condition you described.

Just one obstacle. We don't do shipped-in repairs. Carry in and carry out only. The Turbo might be a same-day job, but not the other two, most likely. The appointment calendar is on the wall at the shop, and I'm at home right now. If memory serves, it's booked through the end of September.

Thanks for thinking of us and 73
have you got the openings figured out ?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?