• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

This one's for Sonwatcher!

Re: things go'nna change

enok said:
HI ... IM THINKING ...HUH ... IN THE NEXT FUTURE (SOON) THE BANDS *(ALLS) WILL BE OPEN TO EVERY ONE INCLUDED THE COMM.. COMPANIES TO BUY IT( OF COURSE: CHARLIE WIL WITHDRAW MORSE ..TOO) THEN SEE WHAT HAPPEN (BTW.. SHOW ME A RADIO THAT CANT' BE MODIFIED )

No! Radio frequency spectrum is not "owned" by the US's FCC. It is a valuable, but intangible, commodity that must be MANAGED carefully by all nations that use it. Should the USA, for example, decide to "sell off" HF spectrum, it would break treaties honorably made to effectively manage spectrum.
What we don't see is, overall trade is VERY important for nations. Let's say that the US did this and there is a nation that highly objects to it, then we have a problem. Perhaps this nation has.....um, oil, or minerals vital to US industry or manufacturing. Also, a nation's credibility, it's very honor, is at stake. So just like the credit bureau, the nation's credit is diminished not to mention the damage done to US industry or economy. Such management---RF "traffic cops", if you like----
is done by the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) to which many nations sign onto in order to manage worldwide HF spectrum, negotiate agreements, and arbitrate disputes. It was also this international agency that decided to abolish Morse Code as a requirement for HF operations, and why FCC has proposed to do away with it.

Most "communications companies" (?) are not interested in HF, but in ultra-high bands in the gigahertz range. So the "sales" of spectrum (and by the way, spectrum is not "sold" and owned by companies, rather the right to USE is what is sold as a block). Since VHF and above is not subject to "skip" normally, it is not so much an international issue. HF IS!

ANY-thing can be modified to do something to do something outside its intended range. My little compact pickup *can* do
100 MPH. Is it a good idea, OR is it safe or necessary to do so?
Heck, you can modify a DOOR to fit an opening it was not made for, but SHOULD you? Might it create a drafty cold room if you do? *SHOULD* you modify a radio? Depends on the use to which it is put! :) For example, my Icom 706 is modified to operate outside the ham bands. GASP! :shock: SEE THERE,
YOU WOULD SAY, *I* AM 'GUILTY' OF A CRIME. No. I am not. I am authorized to do so by the agency governed by NTIA and have "authorization" to operate radio equipment on Federal and military frequencies. It so happens that the Icom 706 meets certain bandwidth and other technical specs for that use. FCC has NOTHING whatever to DO with such operation. However, by having MADE the modifications, I must now be durn certain not to misbehave WRT CB and Amateur Radio because FCC DOES have jurisdiction over THOSE operations! :) Therefore, I operate the 706 rig(s) strictly according to the regulations both civilian and military lest I get into trouble either way! I would NEVER transmit on CB with my 706, but I hear/read about people doing it everyday. My pickup will do 100+ MPH. but only an idiot would drive a vehicle at that speed on the highway! :roll: Leave that for the racetrack where it, hopefully, won't hurt other people!

Therefore, those who import and distribute the hated "export" radios (hated by those who find unlicensed intruders on their frequencies) are doing so because of greed, a lack of integrity and ignorance of WHY their activities are legally, morally wrong. It's why I have a ham radio(s) in my vehicle AND a LEGAL 40 channel CB radio. Ne'er shall the twain meet! :D

"Ne'er shall the twain meet!"

I caught my ham radio playing hanky panky with my CB radio...it's happened before too. I should have known better to leave them unattended together. But that's what you get.

Sorry ..Im' dont' want to hurt fellings ... I only say what I see.. Im' ham operator and I do know all the rules. : that is not the point ... thing are changin around the whole world ... no one can stop that.. and yes nobody owened the freq.. or can control the skip...or if you run a HARLEY AT 150 miles p.h. only ..I encourage every one to follow the law and regulations etc.but my point is if the only reason to ban people is if the equipment can be mod...then you know .... I begun in the cb band then I became a ham (before the changes) of bad operatos in 11 meters then I found more bads oper..in the hams bands..uh...bad apples are every where... the problems are no the radios or amps etc.. it is the use of them...BTW what you think about B.P.L AND THOSE ALL NOISE ... :?: :!:

Late last night some of us on the forum were listening to 7.243 and heard music and echo. By Hams ! :roll: It was funny to us after reading so much about how Hams like to do things legally. After that we changed freq's and listened to some guys talk about clothes,coffee, and different ways to prepare food and don't know if they ever ID'd through the whole conversation. They all broke rules and will never be among those cited. Just because there are few citations for Hams doesn't mean they aren't breaking rules. Just not turned in or caught.

I'm gonna toss out some guesses...

CBers out number hams 10 to 1

The rate of lawbreaking on the CB band compared to the ham bands is also 10 to 1

The rate that hams get busted for their lawbreaking compared to CBers is also 10 to 1

That means there are 100 times more violations by CBers than by hams, but a CBer is 1000 times less likely to get caught.

Sonwatcher said:
Late last night some of us on the forum were listening to 7.243 and heard music and echo. By Hams ! :roll: It was funny to us after reading so much about how Hams like to do things legally. After that we changed freq's and listened to some guys talk about clothes,coffee, and different ways to prepare food and don't know if they ever ID'd through the whole conversation. They all broke rules and will never be among those cited. Just because there are few citations for Hams doesn't mean they aren't breaking rules. Just not turned in or caught.

Um, not defending anybody, but could that also have been broadcast doing the music, etc? International broadcast plays havoc with 40 Meters at night. And, of course, if the culprits are hams, I hope they get REVOKED. I can't STAND banal, infantile and childish antics with a radio. They need a flavored pacifier rather than a radio! :evil: Or the you-know-what smacked out of 'em :twisted:

CWM

C2.......To hear CW tell it them good ole boy cbers are the real problem and most hams can do no wrong.But the funny thing is i have never seen a Connex, Galaxy,Ranger,Superstar,Magnum that will talk well on anything but 11 meters or well enough to cause the kind of interference that you guys complain about.It STILL blows my mind that with all the channels/meters that you hams have at your finger tips you only stay on the few that truckers or cbers some times go to to get away from all of the hash and trash on ch 19!
I know that by law they are not to do so and i know that it really pisses you all off when they do but i have to ask....are you guys really that bored to complain this day in and day out?Can you sit there with a straight face and tell me you have not done it your self in the past before you got that ticket!

What does the good book say???
Let those without sin cast the first stone.
Must be alot righteous people in this section!

I can imagine that as CWM scans the ghostspectrum of 10 meters, that the squaking, beeping, export weilding truck driver brings a blissfull glee to his face...

Kinda like a drug sniffing dog when they find the package :p

King Mudduck said:
I wonder......How many base radios are the ones that you hear instead of truckers,does it really matter to you or are you just looking for someone to blame?

When the conversation goes like "I know you right, drivah, them 4 wheelers shore are crazy" SQEEEEEEEK! Um, it must be a truck. :D

The "base" stations can take care of themselves because the hams in the local area will DF them in a skinny minute, pinpoint the location, and report it to the authorities. They will no more tolerate ANY bandit stations than than you will tolerate a burgler in your house. One burgler is one too many, and one outlaw radio station is too many, too!

CWM
:p

Oh please!!!!There are a hell of a lot more high powered base stations out there then they are mobiles in some truckers cab!Which do you think will cause more interference...
a trucker with 500 watt moblie and one or two antennas up in the air......what maybe 11 feet or a 500 watt base with a set of beams up 100 feet in the air?
Very rarely do i hear some driver in a big truck talk over a base when the skip is strong.
If today they removed all radios over 4 watts from all drivers trucks you would still find something so you could complain about truckers!

King Mudduck said:
Oh please!!!!There are a hell of a lot more high powered base stations out there then they are mobiles in some truckers cab!Which do you think will cause more interference...
a trucker with 500 watt moblie and one or two antennas up in the air......what maybe 11 feet or a 500 watt base with a set of beams up 100 feet in the air?
Very rarely do i hear some driver in a big truck talk over a base when the skip is strong.
If today they removed all radios over 4 watts from all drivers trucks you would still find something so you could complain about truckers!
" You got a point ... maybe some of them are hams ... ... ''IS AN ORWELLIAN WORLD" 8) 8) 8)

Therefore, those who import and distribute the hated "export" radios .... are doing so because of greed, a lack of integrity and ignorance of WHY their activities are legally, morally wrong.

Sorry CWM I hate to inform you, but morality is an OPINION that cannot mandated by the government. The government frequenty passes laws on the basis of "morality" (remember prohibition?) then later finds out that the majority disagree with them. This subject is not one of morality, unless you artificially add some religious belief into an argument where it doesn't belong. That statement you made carries no weight or validity, and in fact you should really start leaving statements like that out of your debates because it's starting to sound like TV evangelism.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated