• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

This one's for Sonwatcher!

While the federal government, or any government, can't "legislate" morality, common sense, or any other virtue, it can set an example for citizens to follow.

While it is obvious that government fails miserably in this area, that should not, and will not stop each of us from deciding our own set of morals and ethics. These virtues are taught by our parents/families and "should" be reinforced by society, but that is not the case anymore.

I believe that C.W. Morse's comments serve more as a differing point of view that does serve to inform operators of the potential harms and penalties of illegal operation, and may educate those who didn't realize they were violating these regulations.

While I disagree with C.W.'s staunch devotion to the government and it's regulatory agencies, I do agree with his belief that CB operators should stay clear of amateur frequencies and not create interference to other radio services(and I would appreciate it if they didn't interfere with one another :roll: ).

99% of the time, I operate on the legal 40 channel CB allocated band.
95% of the time, I operate with the legal transmitter output.
100% of the time, I operate a clean station.
100% of the time, I am courteous and tolerant while on the air.
If that makes me a criminal or a slack jawed yokel in the minds of some, so be it, but I feel pretty good about my operating procedures.

These CB radio forums can and do serve to educate all of us on radio operations, and sometimes we even get a lesson or two in morality :)

o

Yep. Whatever one's "morals" are, we can certainly see where they are going in the USA, right? :? Kids having kids, kids carrying guns to school, a debate on marriage (who'da thunk it?), and a host of other stuff going on. If today's "morals" are something to be proud of, I'll eat my hat! :shock:

And that's what I meant about a "moral" responsibility, etc. But, I forgot! That is a foreign concept in today's world; we don't even know by what standard we establish it anymore. :(
And it is why people have no qualms about stealing frequencies from other people; they simply see nothing wrong with it because they are reprobate! Yes! It is in the dictionary.

While we scratch our heads over the problems that vex us (Why did Billy take a gun to school? Why is 7th grade Cindy pregnant? Why is Josh failing in school? How DARE the teacher defend himself against an attack by a student!!!), we patently reject any standards and restrictions on our behavior because we are blind to the reasons and cannot see why we have the problems we do. We are quick to question any "certain" group that might object to our actions. We now reject the standards that governed us in the past ("those simple- minded, Bible-thumping holy rollers, etc") while we grieve over our child who was shot dead by a 15 year old drug dealer! We can see no connection because we are now BLIND! We have rejected the things that kept our society intact for 200 years in favor of hedonism, wild pursuit of money and power, the "good" life, fancy homes, big cars and let's not ever say the word "God" anymore!! We want what *I* want, *MY* way, *MY* this, *MY* that, and how DARE ANYBODY even suggest a right or wrong way or try to push his "morals" on me. Never in the history of the US has God been so attacked and reviled and pushed aside. We have run amok!! And we want "something" done about the issues of the day, but we no long know WHAT!
We mindlessly watch TV with "mature" programming and have sex, sex, sex, and more sex poured into our heads, never saying a word of protest. Words and descriptions of bodily functions and parts that once would not have been on there, are now bandied about as tho it were "enlightened" and "modern". We snicker and giggle in our obsession of sexual activity and use words in front of the childred that I as a child never EVER knew. If anyone objects, he gets a lecture about pushing his "morals" on me as the TV interupts the filthly language to drone that the police are on the scene of a road rage murder!@! And we TSK, TSK and wonder why. Instead of stringing up rapists, murderers, and robbers and letting them thrash around in the agony they caused their innocent victims, we pithily moan about the rights of that "pore ole criminal" and never say a word about the victims. Then when one of these scum does get to go gently to sleep, society stands around outside and burns candles because what we are reprobate in our minds and deeds.

So what ARE "morals" for which I am not scolded for even bringing up? I won't go there, but I durn well know this: What once was firmly RIGHT is now WRONG, and what was WRONG is now "right" and is exactly bass-ackwards from the way it was and WORKED!!!! It bred respect and order and, yes, joy, among the community and led to the pre-emminence of the USA in the world today in science and techology, education and the quality of life. All those things we USED to call "morals" is now being discarded--so much so that ethics must surely follow to the destruction of the Nation!!! Once the foundation upon which something is built is undermined, it must eventually collapse. And that is what is happening to the USA.
They say that the 20th was the "American Century"--a marvel of the ages, perhaps rivaling ancient Rome as a beacon of civilization in the world. Look how fast things have changed just in the last 30 years. Should a middle school teacher defend himself against an 7th grader's attack with a knife, he is FIRED by the school and SUED by the parents! In 1965 if you attacked a teacher, you'd get your butt slapped down then suspended! But then, you didn't DARE attack a teacher.
When we had a fight, we went out to the ball field during the morning break and duked it out. Nobody got seriously hurt and nobody got shot or stabbed. The cops weren't called. Now it is a HUGE deal because there are not basic rules rules of behavior being taught either at home or at school. You just get expelled, and to someone who has never been had any ethics (or morals) to START with, just what does he CARE; it's just a free ticket to roam the streets and paint graffiti on someone's walls!! :evil:
Yes, Government cannot legislate "morality". But we have worse problems. Do we ever suspect that something is WRONG?
Do we have a clue as to WHY this "something" is wrong?

So it goes to the point that I have been making about radio and less about the use of the word "morality" for which I was scolded earlier. It is that very decline in what-ever-it-is (I happen to think is the rejection of God in our lives and let's leave it at that, OK?) that has lead to the willingness of people to violate the established laws/regulations on radio. They not only don't KNOW why it is wrong (ethics) and they don't CARE that it is wrong. It is a vicious circle.

Government can NEVER solve our moral problems, but it tries to establish a happy medium. It is why it is illegal to operate on those frequencies you are not authorized, and those who get affected your wrongdoing get angry. :)

CWM

Whatever one's "morals" are, we can certainly see where they are going in the USA, right? Kids having kids, kids carrying guns to school, a debate on marriage (who'da thunk it?), and a host of other stuff going on. If today's "morals" are something to be proud of, I'll eat my hat!

And that's what I meant about a "moral" responsibility, etc. But, I forgot! That is a foreign concept in today's world; we don't even know by what standard we establish it anymore

I guess I got this thread side tracked on the philosophy of morality now. I'll be honest here and say I only skimmed the rest of CWM's entire post. If the first two paragraphs are the foundation for the rest, I heard enough.

Kids having kids: Only up to the early 1900's and ONLY in the U.S. has this become a prevalent point of view. My grandparents were 16 and 18 when they got married and had kids. That was considered normal in 1930. I suppose they were "bad" people? Yet the local preacher happily married them. Marrying age for women used to be around 14, and men around 16. Please stop right now with the post 1950's made up morality on this subject.

Kids bringing guns to school: puuuhleeeeze. As long as there have been guns, they've been brought to school. At first it was for personal protection from animals or other bandits on the long walk or ride home. Now the schools are bigger and population is more crowded = more bad guys. Guns serving the same purpose now as then. It doesn't mean I like it...it's just the way things have ALWAYS been. And if there were no guns, it would be knives.

Debate on marriage: A purely Christian perspective that really is only an issue in THIS country. Again we have typically protestant U.S. point of views trying to impose their view of morality on everyone. It wasn't until the 1800's that most marriages were even performed because of "love". It was usually a contract to increase family land holdings or wealth, or for other political gain. Oh wait...I'm sorry, the local preacher wouldn't possibly want us discussing what marriage was originally "invented" for. Or we could discuss this issue purely using the Bible as our basis if you want....

Sex, Sex, and more sex....have you read the bible? How many wives and concubines did King David ("a man after God's own heart) have??

What was right is now wrong? I think you're only looking at this in the perspective of the last 100 years. You don't even have to look at other cultures...just try actually READING the Bible, from beginning to end if that's what you decide to base your morality on.

You know, that ENTIRE argument you just used as it relates to the radio hobby is known as the logic fallacy, "post hoc ergo prompter hoc". Now what is it we're debating? Was it the FCC's policy on Export radios or band allocation, or was it where the U.S.'s 21st century, self imposed, protestant based "morality" fits within the context of world morality present and past?

Oh wait, this is a radio forum! LOL!

Kids having kids: Only up to the early 1900's and ONLY in the U.S. has this become a prevalent point of view. My grandparents were 16 and 18 when they got married and had kids. That was considered normal in 1930. I suppose they were "bad" people? Yet the local preacher happily married them. Marrying age for women used to be around 14, and men around 16. Please stop right now with the post 1950's made up morality on this subject.

Certainly. They got MARRIED and STAYED that way for the rest of their lives for the most part.

Kids bringing guns to school: puuuhleeeeze. As long as there have been guns, they've been brought to school. At first it was for personal protection from animals or other bandits on the long walk or ride home. Now the schools are bigger and population is more crowded = more bad guys. Guns serving the same purpose now as then. It doesn't mean I like it...it's just the way things have ALWAYS been. And if there were no guns, it would be knives.

Yes. However, it would scarcely raise eyebrows because the difference was that those kids didn't even THINK about hurting anyone with a gun. My Dad sat me down at about the age of
8 and showed me everything about his old shotgun (which I still have), what it would do, how and why it was dangerous. To this day, the FIRST thing I do if I move that gun to this day is to break it down and check it to see if it is loaded. I first shot it at 10 years and had a sore shoulder for a week! He took me hunting and showed me to always break the gun down until you intend to shoot it. We also carried knives from the age of 7-8 and it was one of the Christmas gifts you expected to find one Christmas morning to show that you had "grown up". We carried them to school routinely and ne'er was a word said. Oh, you might get one taken away from you for whittling with it, or making whistles in school, but NEVER was anyone ever stabbed, nor did a teacher even so much as raise an eyebrow at the sight of your Barlow, Go ahead-make fun of those 1950's and '60's; I LIVED the "Leave it to Beaver" life in a rural community that revolved around the school and church. We farmed, raised chickens, minded our parents and went to school where you STUDIED and did what you were told. Now, if anything is said that might possibly challenge today's society and its spoiled and hedonistic "ideals" it is 'quaint', out of date and a whole host of insults. Well, sorry, I would gladly trade 2006 for 1956 ANY day of the week. If they DO invent a "time machine" in my lifetime, and I can choose the era I want to live in, I would choose 1900
(depression notwithstanding) to around 1989 because the crap that goes on now makes me want to PUKE!! :evil:

As to reading the Bible, well I have read it 6 times over and was even MADE to read it, so don't tell me what I DON'T know about it, OK? I don't know it all, but I was a preacher's kid, so don't assume what I don't know! Even if I didn't absorb it ALL, I had plenty of it drilled into me. I didn't LIKE being a PK, but I had not choice but to sit thru Bible School, Sunday School and various Bible Studies. I happen to believe what it says, and every word in it points to destruction the way we are going now :? Without quoting verse by verse, it also says that "in the later days, they will no longer endure sound doctrine" and that "He will turn them over to a reprobate mind" (paraphrase)--that word I used earlier. But, I forgot, that "old" book isn't relevant to today, right? We are just soooooo 'enlightened' and so able to do our own thing, right? Shurrrrrrrr, we are. Shurrrr, and I promise not to say ANYTHING anymore about "morality". :roll: And, btw, there is a story in that ill-treated Bible about a civilization that build a huge tower because they thought they no longer needed anybody but themselves. They could do ANYTHING without God's help, and God taught them a lesson by scattering them (disagreement over how to proceed with their tower, how to govern themselves), and by confusing their language. It was called the tower of Babel. The tower proceeded just so high and no further. So is that what is happening now? Have we climbed the tower so high we can no longer see the foundation? That foundation is God, that word that is inscribed on our money and on monuments in Washington, DC. We have forced people to chip the 10 Commandments off the courthouse walls and dare anyone to say "In Jesus' name at a football game. They are trying to remove "Under God" from the Pledge (Yes, I know it was not put there until the '50's) and I got news fer ya. The only way the smarmy, leftist heathens with stop me from saying it is to whup my rear end--all 236 lbs of it! :evil: Little by little, we are chipping away the foundations of the USA and are diseased by the blindness that feeds upon itself until, yes, KIDS are having kids in the SEVENTH grade, and NO they are not married, and NO, anyone that says that is a good thing is an utter idiot. Women used marry at 13 to men of 25 and more, but YES! They were married with the intention of staying that way, having a family, and working the rest of their lives for the good of family and society itself. I am done, thank you!!

CWM

I'm not carrying this debate any further than these couple counter points. You and I have different premise on this, just like Jews will never believe Jesus is their saviour, so there's no point in debating.

Certainly. They got MARRIED and STAYED that way for the rest of their lives for the most part.

Again with the marriage argument...Yet it was OK for Abraham to have a concubine (not married to). A marriage is a contract, plain and simple. It was OK in the bible to have kids without being married, and will be OK in the future. The bible doesn't mandate marriage to legitimize male / female relationships anywhere.

Guns....Last time I checked, Cain killed Able without a gun. Sheesh, there were only four people around. 25% Murder rate is pretty lousy the last time I checked.

I already knew you lived the "Leave it Beaver" life. It's obvious by everything you post. The world does not revolve around that upbringing or point of view. And congratulations on surviving being a preachers kid. But take it from someone who has a degree in Theology: Most Christian religions only pick and choose the parts of the Bible that they want to apply to their point of view. This country's debate on marriage is a perfect example. You spoke of Christmas and Christmas gifts. Yet if you believe everything the Bible says, then maybe Jeremiah 10:3-5 should be read. Did your dad the preacher give you the full education on the origin of Christmas, too? How about Easter? Not that I think Christmas or Easter are bad things, so don't get me wrong...

There are more people in this world that are not Christian than are. Most of the cultures that aren't Christian have been around for eons longer than the U.S. Religions preaching doom and gloom to the world if we don't follow that specific religions belief system have been around forever too. (Incidentally, it's really only the religions that center their belief around a "saviour" that this is most common with.) Personally, I find it hard to believe that if there's a God that wants us to all to worship him based on a Christian belief system that he would make sure that only a minority of people did. I don't buy the doom and gloom rant. We can all choose to believe what we want, but eventually the world will continue on without us.

Now, what the heck does all this have to do with radios?

While I agree with many of your points I also recognize a critical factor in the mix.Christians that believe strongly in the teachings of the New Testament will follow the moral Laws laid as a foundation for their lives. Our nation when formed included these principals in its laws. Other nations incorperated these principals But also there are those that either barely follow those teachings or do not believe in God at all. For these individuals the legal system tends to dictate the morals of a given society. The problem with this is there is no solid foundation to place one's moral beliefs as laws change and with it the moral line changes. When the legal system and the Biblical principals were aligned in our society then most people followed the same moral principals such as the past history of which you spoke.Today the laws have changed and with it the moral alignment has changed. This nation is a melting pot of ideas and beliefs and opinions. It is true I believe that we have declined in our behaviors such as not so much that children are bringing guns to school but the reasons for it have drastically changed.Integrety and respect are things that need to be taught in the home.But as far as radio is concerned I think Paul put it good in the post above, in that there are things that are done out of common decency and respect that everyone can follow.

"common decency and respect " What a concept! :shock: :D A little more of each for everyone sure would make a BIG differance.That really is the underlining problem in today's world I believe.

Can I trade my old CDX membership certificate in for a WWRF Doctorate in Philosophy certificate, suitable for framing? 8)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.