• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Thoughts on Realistic TRC-457 Navaho?

GA1dad

Jun 2, 2009
Hello all,,, I believe this is my first post after joining a while back. A little history. I am not a radio repair guy and do not have the proper equipment to tune or properly test one. I have a Dosy SWR/power/modulation meter, a dummy load and a multi meter. I do have my Amateur Radio Technician ticket and am studying for the General.

About 2 years ago I picked this radio up in a trade. It's operational status was unknown, but did power on and I have very, very little invested it the radio, desk and hand mics. My original intent for accepting it in the trade was flipping it ( as is ) for profit, as I knew that most all 40 channel SSB radios are sought after. I got it home and hooked it up to a dummy load. Upon keying the mic the unit powers off until the PTT is released. At that point I committed that I was going to attempt to recap the radio,,, something I had never done before. I purchased the capacitor kit and planned to attack the job on Memorial Day 2017 while camping in our RV. As it turned out, that weekend nothing went right. Everything I touched turned to crap. I made the decision not to touch the radio for fear of damaging it during my spell of bad luck.

Fast forward 2 years and the radio is now going to be put on the bench for a recap this weekend while my family is away for a short vacation. After the recap is complete, I may seek to have it "tuned" if necessary.

I just wanted to ask for some opinions on the radio. I have only casually used mobile CB rigs in the past, back in the 80's and 90's,, but it was very limited use. I wouldn't mind adding a SSB base station to my still growing setup. Any thoughts on what a man can do himself with such limited tools?

Thanks in advance,,, I'm sure I'll have more questions later.

More than a few of us like these radios. Unit_399 went to a lot of effort to get it all in one place.
Some of what you may need depends on your exact location. Listening to your attempted repairs on a local web based SDR can be humbling and informative.
https://sdr.hu/map
Hopefully you are close enough to see a signal.
If not there are other ways.

And , you have a PM ...

Reactions: GA1dad

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated