• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Consumer Electronics Hall Of Fame Cobra 138XLR

The 138XLR was one of my hottest selling radios but when the 138A SSB/AM 23ch came out I sold over 200 of them in the just under 6 weeks or so. With that in mind I would have to say it paved the road for the XLR's.

Below is one I held on to for over 40 years it was my personal 138A and looks like the day it came out of the box and works just as good very little up keep on these they were tanks. And they sported the old Phone mic plug.
Sold a few hundred of these as well probably more like 500.

my138aa.JPG

unit_399's page is now defunct - sad!
http://unit399.wixsite.com/858ssb

Anyone have a copy of that page?

Sad to hear Robb. I referenced that site many times in the last 2 weeks as I re-capped my 139XLR. The "Big Brother" to the 138XLR and my most favorite radio in my 47 years in this hobby!

Sadly I do not have a copy. Unit399 did an awesome job on the info for this chassis. His effort will be missed.

73's
David

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Ok, I have completed the clean up on the web page and have converted it to both Word and PDF formats for those that like one or the other. I don't know if I caught every little format issue or spelling issue or grammar issue but I got a ton of it and reduced the page size by 2 pages so it should be readable if you have any complaints "TOO BAD" NO! only kidding I still have the original so if you see anything you believe to be wrong let me know. After proofing this It was amazing how much of this I remember doing over the years well the years between the middle '70s and late 80's I have some ideas and many thousands of personal notes taken that I have accumulated on these radios and will include them and update this document as I find them and of course as I have time.

Attachments

• UNIT399 858PL WEB INFO.docx
    3 MB · Views: 51
  • UNIT399 858PL WEB INFO.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 67
59674779_2379847658959903_8856389355111972864_n.jpg

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
thanks oldtech, I have been wanting this from unit_399's old site. I could not download the word version since my packet is a old version of word but the PDF downloaded just fine.
thanks again

Just found a boo-boo at the very end of the pdf file, in the carrier-control mod.

It shows the proper type number for the TO-220 darlington transistor TIP120, but calls it a "PNP". It's really a NPN part.

And there used to be a simple schematic diagram for this trick, but not in this file.

Dern!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.