• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

thoughts on the chinese units

"or import, ship or distribute for the purpose of selling
or leasing or offering for sale or lease, any radio frequency device
unless in the case of a device subject to certification such device has
been authorized by the Commission"

yes I am aware that you cannot import them for the purpose of selling, etc but I still believe you are allowed to use them on the amateur bands

I guess the other question of use would fall under the user being able to make sure it complies with specs required for amateur use of the radio.

I guess the other question of use would fall under the user being able to make sure it complies with specs required for amateur use of the radio.

I've been reading everything I can and from what I can tell that should be correct.

The BIG thing about these radios is that they are being marketed as a commercial HT and therefore MUST have certification which almost all of them do not have. Any radio operating on commercial freqs must NOT have user ability to control the freq of operation beyond a simple channel switch which has specific freqs programmed into it. In other words, no VFO control.

The hambone is connected to the kneebone, and it wont' be long before we get the boot.

$60 TYD is just too cheap.

I have been looking at these on EBAY, the shipping is outrageous!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Two-VHF-handheld-136-174MHz-5W-2-way-Programmable-radio_W0QQitemZ200207485202

f008ev6.jpg

Yes the shipping is outrageous but you would still be getting two 2m radios for $80 each after shipping. Doesn't sound all that bad to me if they are any good.

Sure they look nice but that $80 can cost you more in the long run. Once the hammer drops, and the easy traceability of ebay sales and purchases, now comes the FCC knocking at your door.

Personally I wouldn't use them for GMRS either. Nothing against China, I just have too many responsiblities to be shelling out fines.

If you want to place an order for "these [sp] rideos", its America and you are free to do that. However having them in your possession and transmitting on them is another story altogether.

not exactly true

Any radio operating on commercial freqs must NOT have user ability to control the freq of operation beyond a simple channel switch which has specific freqs programmed into it. In other words, no VFO control.

the fcc does allow user/field/front panel programming of radios. it just can not be easily done. the icom p25 radios are front panel programmable by the user/operator. u have to do a song and dance to get to this mode, but it can be done. the radio must also be pre-programmed by the factory/dealer to allow this type of programming, and the user must sign a non-disclosure agreement with icom. we were told by icom to only give this information to federal, state, and local government agencies, and only -after- they sign a nda.

to be honest, i was always under the impression that this was not legal myself. that was until i went to a p25 work shop 2 years ago. i also found that i was not alone with this assumption. many dealers also thought this was not legal. just like the assumption that it is illegal for a vhf ht to do more than 5w and a uhf ht to do more than 4w. there are ht's to be released soon that will do 6w.

Quote from Eham review-

Quote:
Remember, these are not FCC type A so you can probably use them outside the USA but I'd probably think twice before using them with a FCC license on the line. Anyway, these products are just above "toy" status but the progress on quality is moving at a fast clip - very typical of "lets copy someone else's product". Eventually, maybe 3 years, you'll see new brands popping up WITH fcc type acceptance -for sure. just a matter of time.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/6220

Just out of curiosity, could someone be fined or have their license pulled for using one of these in the states? My wife was going to buy one for me as a gift for getting my license, but we went with an Icom instead.

A friend who's going to be taking his exam later this month already has a Fiexian(sp) HT and is looking forward to using it when he does get his license. I've used it once or twice to test it for him and it seems to preform okay. Should he be worried?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.