1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Thunderbolt/Firewire and Flex 3000/5000

Discussion in 'General Ham Radio Discussion' started by 2RT307, Jan 11, 2018.

1. 2RT307

2RT307 Sr. Member

2. 2RT307

2RT307 Sr. Member

Answering my own question after digging into it more... there has to be a firewire card to connect to, so I am guessing a dock might work. Link to amazon is not working. :/

#2 2RT307, Jan 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  3. 6meter

6meter Active Member

I run an i7 Apple Mini that boots into Windows 10. I used a standard Firewire 800 cable with no issues controlling a Flex 5000.

I would be interested the adapter you linked to. The way it reads is that it would allow connection of a Firewire device. So that sounds like it would work.

4. 2RT307

2RT307 Sr. Member

Thanks for the response! So, your mini has a firewire port, correct? I think the trick is to have a firewire card with a port. I can't add any ports to my laptop, so I would have to get a computer with firewire to make it work. The tech at Flexradio said the cable alone will not make it work. :/

Brett

5. 6meter

6meter Active Member

Yes my Apple mini has a Firewire 800 port. I picked up a FW cable at Microcenter to connect my Flex 5000.

Regarding the adapter you linked to. It says "connects to the Thunderbolt port on your Mac computer, giving you a FireWire 800 port"
    My read of that is if you have a Thunderbolt port on your laptop it will convert that to Firewire.