• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

tig welding loop sections of PDL-2

airplane1

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 15, 2005
Lebanon county PA
Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone knows if tig welding the loop sections of a pdl-2 where they get clamped together will have any bad affect on the antenna performance? I dont like the way they clamp together and think that the tigging would make for better rf connection.

Thanks,
AP

AP,
Electrically it should make no difference. Mechanically, beats me, would that weaker the wire?
- 'Doc

airplane1, how do you know they are not making good contact? Until spring a year ago, I had an old HyGain yagi for over 10 years and it worked just as good then as it did when new and it had about 18 such joints using hose clamps of some sort holding it together. When I took it all apart the parts came loose easily. This was because I used simple Vaseline on the contact surfaces back then and it worked fine. There was not non-conductive corrosion found at any point of contact.

Well the clamps are not hose type. they are like a squared off u with a square nut and screw. the tubes fit inside one another and they dont slots cut in them. I will try to post a pic if I can figure it out. I just wanted this antenna better than new like all stainless and the folded dipole or basket people like to call it tigged for best connection or over kill if you will.

Unless I cut the outer tube like an x and get some stainless mini clamps, they would have to be 7/16 diameter.

Thanks

I modified a number of antennas this way. It's a smart idea as long as you get someone who knows how to properly TIG weld thin wall aluminum.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.