• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Time To Ham It Up!

riverrat373

Aug 2, 2012
I got into CB radio back in the 70's and was quite active including helping to start a local CB club. In the late 80's, as CB seemed to start declining I drifted away and just spent more time listening to my shortwave radios.
Although not being active in CB, I have always had one kicking around my radio room, so about 6 months ago I decided to get back into it. The only thing that I have accomplished since then is to become frustrated with CB.

Back in the day, people seemed to be much more willing to accept new members on "their channel". Also you could turn to any channel and find someone to talk to. Well, that has changed in my area, and not for the better!
Most of the channels are empty in my area except when skip rolls in. The few channels that do have traffic seem to be populated by people who are not interested in talking to anyone if they are not in the "club".

I'm not the type of person who likes to participate in online "social media", as I would rather have a voice to voice conversation. (Plus the fact that I'm a slow and terrible typist!) I like to hear a persons voice because it makes it much more personal for me.Anyway, besides being a radio fan (shortwave,scanners,ham,CB) I also enjoy tinkering with electronics.I was studying for my tech license a couple of years ago and was able to pass tests that I took online without any problems, but for some reason decided not to follow through and take the test for real. I think that my frustration with the current state of CB radio has given me the motivation to get the books out and brush up on the tech test and finally go through with it!

Sorry for the long-winded post. I just wanted to let all those hams out there that I'm on my way! :)

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

Come on in the air waves are fine! Study a little bit more and get your general on the same day.
Of course there will be people you don't want to talk to on the amateur bands. There are several MORON frequencies where civilities are no longer practiced.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?