• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

time to make the jump to HAM

KW4HKY

Feb 16, 2010
Thought I would stop in & introduce myself, since I'm ready to try for my license.

Ever since I was 8 years old, I have never forgot the thrill when my dad opened up a huge kit that was a "walkie talkie" The neighbors thought it would be a great way to keep an ear on us kids playing in the basement when the parents played cards. This was WAY before intercoms & such. That electronic "smell" hooked me for life. I was in heaven when several years later we we able to get the latest handheld (5lbs??)

I progressed to CB when that was the craze, and gave that up when there was more noise than talk.

I keep small handheld now for hunting when there is no cell signal.

I have listened to Sky-warn on my scanner for years, and have really debated on getting my license. I still use my PC to stay in touch with voice mail in chat rooms and have made hunting friends all over the US & CA. I have even visited and made life long friends. BUT, it's just not the same as talking on the radio.

I'm now disabled, and flat on my back for a month, so I did some research and have been studying online and taking every practice test I can find. I'm doing well but having trouble on the OHMS law and the other formulas, but I hope I can handle it.

I have a few more weeks until my test and have thought of trying to move up beyond the Tech level. I guess I can find out from the practice test if this is realistic?

I would appreciate any tips for a newbie. My main concerns, assuming I pass is of course the equipment. I'm not sure if it's worth the savings to get used equipment, or go ahead and buy new & be done with it.

A huge concern is finding someone to install my antennae, since I'm not able.

thanks to all

Gene
Hickory, NC

Welcome Gene!

Search Google for Ohms law, and look at the images. I remembered the circle, and as soon as I sat down for my tech test, I wrote that circle down on my scratch paper. From there it was just a matter of covering up the letter that I wanted to find, and doing the math as shown on the circle.

The theroies are not really covered to any great extent except on the extra class test...For the most part the general class and tech class tests cover orperation proceders,the frequency allowances,figuring antennas...and a bit of the theroies are covered,but just the basics usually

General class will give you a good chunk of all the HF bands and 1500 watts allowable power

You can find nice used gear for a decent price....but getting new gear gets you some sort of warrenty....

If you do locate a ham club in your area,usually if they have any gear for sale it will be off good quality...ebay and other auction places us at your own risk

Welcome to the board and hope to hear you on air soon !!

It's really not that hard. It does take some study, and that takes a little time, but not all that much. Every question and answer on every test is published, and there are a few places where you can take 'practice' tests on the internet. When you get to where you are consistently passing those 'practice' tests, you'll do just fine on the real one. (It's a whole lot easier than trying to learn to crochet!)
New or used equipment? Beats me, I've used both. I have 'brand' references like everyone else, and just like Fords and Chevys, you have to find out which you like best for your self. All of them are cheaper than a bass-boat, so that's a good excuse all by it's self, right?
Best advice about what to get is to get your hands on it first and try it out. Not so easy for most of us, but also not impossible. Ham clubs are fine, lots of possibilities there. Nothing says you have to join one. But if you find one you like, why not?
Make it 'light' on yourself, but also don't 'stint' yourself.
Have fun.
- 'Doc

My first ham-fest, Concord, NC. I was overwhelmed. I met up with the 2 clubs near me before I bought a thing. I bought an antenna CSB-790A and a Tri-Mag mount before I even took the TECH exam.

I had lunch, then took the exam. Missed 2 questions and was upset. I don't know how, but I had 2 questions that I somehow missed in the ARRL book and all the online practice tests. Heard the same from several others. I guess 93 is a good score but I wanted 100. Passed on the General test even though it was free to try. I'm NOT ready.

I went to the ICOM & Yaesu reps and checked out both. The guy at the HRO booth was great on advice, since I waited until late to talk to him. Those poor guys were SLAMMED nonstop. He actually talked me out spending an extra $600. I need a new scanner and was going to buy an FT 8R HT. He showed me how the FT60 R would scan everything I needed with an SRB77CA rubber duck on it, and I would still have a nice rig for local Simplex for a LOT less. He talked me out of an extra battery & quick charger and cig lighter cord until I was sure I liked the unit. I can get it delivered later at the same price if I call him in Atlanta.

I was going t get an 8900R, but he suggested the 8800 for my first unit, again t make sure I like the way the rig operates. Most everyone I talked to said 2 meter & 440 was a gracious plenty for my first mobile, and I would likely want a nice multi band base unit when I decide to install my base unit in my home.

The HT is pretty complicated, but I'm picking up NOAA units in NC,SC & VA now. Not so with my ancient scanner. Ditto for the repeaters in my area. I'm scanning & saving repeaters I didn't know were around.

It was a great day, and now I'll be checking the data base mid week to see when I'm legal!

I'm making a list of questions on installing my mobile, so that will be my next thread. After that, I'll be adding my call sign.

Thanks to all.

Thanks! does anyone have the exact link for the FCC so I can check my status mid week?

The handbook just says go to the ARRL homepage & click on FCC Database, but, I don't see that link?

I'm guessing ULS section on the FCC page?:headbang

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.