• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TMV708

W5LZ

Crotchety Old Bastard
Apr 8, 2005
Oklahoma
Another 'wild hair' thing. Got tired of moving radio from truck to house so getting a radio for the house. Anyone here have one of the Kenwood TM-V708's? All the reviews I've seen seem to be favorable, except for those expecting more than advertised.
- 'Doc

Got one. Like it more than the FT-7800R. I'm more used to Kenwood's operating 'style' so it sort of 'makes sense' in how they do things. After being exposed to the FT-7800 there are a few thing 'different' with the TM-V708A. Nothing that's really objectionable, just different. With no mic connection to the head, the options for the mounting/placement of the head is greatly expanded, as in, on the visor, or steering wheel (not the 'best' idea in the world)?
Wish there were additional options with the 'beeps' from various button pushes or scanning stops. That's with ALL brands, not just Kenwood or Yaesu! If I've got the thing scanning and I hear someone, I know it quit scanning, I don't need a @#$ 'beep' to tell me! Also wish there were a 'programing' program for the '708. Knew there wasn't when I got it, so no suprize, but I'm lazy, rather do it all in one 'chunk'. I didn't design it so how can I expect it to be 'perfect' (know what I mean, Vern?).
I like the '708.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.