• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tnt 12 pack.

Mar 18, 2018
I got a old school tnt 12 pack. It's got all Toshiba 2879s. It's a 2 2879 driving 8 2879. I would like to know how many amps it would take to run it on a power supply so I can used it on my base setup. I got 4 of the 12 volt 30 amp power supply. But I'm pretty shure I'm gonna need more than that.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

200 Amps. Note that this is 20 Amps per transistor.

If this were a 2-transistor box, you might estimate 25 or 30 Amps for the pair. You could reduce drive power and hold the current consumption down to 25 Amps or less.

An amplifier with a built-in driver tends to pull more current per transistor. Can't turn the drive any lower than that driver stage permits, more or less.

And if what you wish to do is burn rubber and see all the power it can deliver, 200 Amps is on the low side. 150 should be enough to run it with some sense. They tend to sound better that way, as well.

Besides, holding down the driver power might work if all the power supply can provide is 120 to 150 Amps.

Bear in mind that unregulated "competition" power supplies tend to deliver a higher DC voltage than the transistors are specified for. This also drives up current consumption. And the wattmeter.

For a while.

Staying below 14 Volts tends to make them last longer.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.