• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

To 7/8 or NOT to 7/8, that is the equastion

I think 30' feet is a good height for good performance if the local neighborhood is single story height.

Personally I don't think the New Vector 4K should need any construction or performance modifications, but I don't like the screw type connections used to connect the radiator tubing. As per your request, I think using slotting and hose clamps are better and longer lasting construction ideas, but it is more work.

Some suggest the Vector user can experience detectable and improved performance by making the NV4K longer than 3/4 wavelength...and then re-tuning the gamma to fix the effects on the match.

My Eznec models don't show longer radiators producing better performance than the stock 3/4 wavelength version, and for sure if the radiator is made 30'-31' feet long. My Eznec models also don't include the matching network if that matters. This said however, I have not tested the longer radiator idea in a real world setup, so maybe that is something to consider as a possible performance mod.

I hope you will keep us posted on your progress.

BTW, Needle Bender recently told us that he wants to setup his NV4K and compare it to some other antennas he has...so check with him on his progress too. I think he also has an New/Old kit for a Larry 150 that is about 31' feet long he might also setup and compare.

Thx Marconi! I hope to get to about 30ft and yes all houses are of single story type. Surrounded by large oak trees that are rather large. But other than that I think I'll be good to go. Thx for the tips as well. May have to at least replace all screws with SS type, will have to check antenna out 1st. And will keep updated for sure. Again thx for all the replies and help!! It's much appreciated. I've had my eye on this antenna since for a while now so I am happy to be getting it and as a gift none the less!! I'm very thankful for sure.

Thx Marconi! I hope to get to about 30ft and yes all houses are of single story type. Surrounded by large oak trees that are rather large.

The oak trees should have no effect and in fact will help by sheltering the the antenna from the wind to some extent.

Reactions: 222DBFL
That is what I was expecting to hear M0GVZ. I should have worded in there that it's what I meant and not as an obstruction per say. Yes the oak trees and a couple other type large trees shelter my antenna from a lot of wind for sure. I am planning on beefing up my antenna mast to accommodate the new heavier antenna. And I will make sure it's guyed at the base of antenna most likely just for my own piece of mind. With the antenna being as tall as it is and going up to about 30ft or so, I have a feeling the neigbors are really going to like me now LOL! The sirio tornado wasn't as large as this antenna appears to be.that is for sure. I am just happy to be getting a new vertical and it happens to be the original one I wanted back when I got the tornado about 2.5yrs ago. The weight isn't too much difference, from almost 4lbs to almost 7lbs is a lot considering my current mast setup. No way I am going up with this antenna without beefing up my mast. Won't take long at all. Just going to purchase some new pipe. Will post photos of the completed antenna and new mast. Oh man, another weekend project. At least it's one that i will enjoy and benefit me in the end as I don't have a vertical up right now. Again, thanks to all the members and NB for starting this thread. It helped me choose the antenna I wanted, and seems I've made a good choice this go round vs. my last antenna.
73 and God Bless.
Sean, 2OR222.

Hey 222DBFL, Glad to hear the thread was helpful for you, too, it's certainly helped me to decide on a 29' mod. Eddie's plots showed how much the longer version fills in the 30°ish null w/o losing much in terms of low angle gain so that's what I'm making from the old Saliute and after testing it's performance, if it kicks arse like I'm expecting/hoping, then I'll also mod the new V4K. I'll 2nd Marconi's advice to cut on the screw holes and switch to quality hose type clamps. Maybe bathe in NOLOX and black electrical tape at each junction. Try to use Phillystran instead of guy WIRE, but if you must use wire, try to add insulators at least on the 2 top sets, at 1', 6' & 11' from the mast and a few feet up from the roof eyelet. There's also some talk about adding full 1/4 wave horiz radials at the base of the cone, perhaps another poss mod worth trying, after I'm over this dang flu & finished by the 31st with playing musical storage locations. Please post your results, and IMO, 'you done good' (y)

Dacron rope or some HD paracord was going to be used for guying the mast. And I will def. do the slit and hose clamp mod as well as placing some
no-ox special A, on the joints and also weather proofing with self amalgamating tape as well. I just need to get the antenna here then get the proper hose clamp sizes in made of SS of good quality. I'm not rushing this one. Going to take my time and place this antenna up as if it were not coming down unless absolutely needed. Anyway, again I really do appreciate all the posts that were made on this subject and the NV4K as well. IDK about messing about with the length too much is something I am ready to tackle as obviously I only have the one antenna. But I do look forward to seeing what you experience with the length added. Anyways, NB, again thx for making this thread, and too all that helped provide some great info as well!!

And get well soon dangit. Hate the flu!! And I am happy I got this antenna. Could have gotten any sirio antenna I wanted or possibly a different one by a different manufacturer, but I think I made a good choice. I'll do the mods and take my time putting it up as well.

And look forward to seeing what you come up with as well. It may be a bit too much for my area as far as space and neigbors, but I do like the idea of modding antennas, just don't have enough of them laying around yet to make many mods LOL. I'm only 40 so I have some time still to collect and play. I am still getting my Learn On everyday! Maybe one day I'll get a ticket, for now I'll keep it clean and mean on 11m.

[QUOTE="222DBFL, post: 533641, member: 36544] I am planning on beefing up my antenna mast to accommodate the new heavier antenna. And I will make sure it's guyed at the base of antenna most likely just for my own piece of mind. [/QUOTE]

There's an argument for not guying the mast in order to give it a bit of flex to take some of the stress of wind loading off the base section of the antenna. On the other hand though if the mast fails, and I have had an aluminium 40mm one bend just above the top wall bracket and fold right over, then you're still going to be replacing the antenna as well as the mast.

Thx for the info. Will have to lower the guying points then a bit. My old setup the top section would give just enough to not let my tornado get bent up at all. It worked very well actually. But we are talking about a totally different animal with the NV4K. I understand that and will accordingly beef up my mast. I won't place this antenna up until it's done, and that I am certain it won't fall with regular weather, that is for sure!! Now if a hurricane comes through, which hasn't in a long while all bets are off. But I am making my mast to be easily collapsible. Again I really appreciate all the info I can get. Have a great day.

Thx Marconi! I hope to get to about 30ft and yes all houses are of single story type. Surrounded by large oak trees that are rather large. But other than that I think I'll be good to go. Thx for the tips as well. May have to at least replace all screws with SS type, will have to check antenna out 1st. And will keep updated for sure.

Your high-lighted comment above is a very good idea with a new antenna and your desire to hopefully compare it to others. If so, I would wait a bit on any modifications including guying.

Except for my note below, you may have to raise and lower this antenna a few times to get it matched.

I am planning on beefing up my antenna mast to accommodate the new heavier antenna. And I will make sure it's guyed at the base of antenna most likely just for my own piece of mind.

222, when you get to guying this big antenna, you may need to consider at least two sets of guy lines for 30' feet and taller.

There's an argument for not guying the mast in order to give it a bit of flex to take some of the stress of wind loading off the base section of the antenna. On the other hand though if the mast fails, and I have had an aluminium 40mm one bend just above the top wall bracket and fold right over, then you're still going to be replacing the antenna as well as the mast.

I agree with M0GVZ about guying. Leave a bit of slack to transfer some of the wind load to the mast as well. With trees around also try and make sure you don't allow tree limbs to get near the guy lines.

In my experience and IMO, with Sirio's manuals and thoughtful kit designs...you should find a smooth installation, and tuning close-too and/or right on the mark.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thx Marconi, I plan on taking my time. If I can only get the antenna to 20ft safely then so be it. I have a kind of small backyard and have to consider the antenna possibly falling over their side of the fence. I am shooting for about 25ft or so TBO. I don't have much of a choice. Its going to be mounted along side of my chimney. Attached to the house and then holefully at 2 points on the chimney, the highest being about 14-15ft at the top. Above this is where I plan on guying it with the lines almost tight like stated. I think I'll be okay with it at 25ft or so. That really only leaves about 10-15ft from the top of the chimney. Will see how it goes. Like I said I won't mount it until I am totally comfortable with it! I def don't need an antenna falling into the neighbors yard. I already think they don't like me too much. Depending on how this antenna performs I may just pull down my dipoles. They work well, but just don't want any complaints from neigbors TBO. Anyway. Will keep all updated as to how it comes out. I do have an analyzer and yes the sirio manual is pretty darn close with thier measurements. At least the Tornado was. Only set it once and it worked as I set it. Again thx for all the responses and am now going to hit the store and get some larger pipe!!

Paracord works fine for guy wire. I'm using it on my 36ft pneumatic mast with a rotator and hexbeam on and it keeps that nice and still even in winds gusting well over 50MPH. All I've done at the other end is to screw eyelets into the wooden fence where the fenceposts are, fed the paracord through that and tied it off. Its been like that for about 2 years now.

Perfect. I have now beefed up the mast setup I have and if all goes according to plan, I'll be 27ft to the feedpoint. Hopefully that is high enough. Puts the tip at the 54ft. area. Should be plenty for local and some dx, when it's around.

Well the 10m band has been going absolutely nuts the last week so you should be hearing some DX on 11m now. I know when I was having a listen on the 11m band on my Flex 6500 with the Hexbeam I was picking up a lot of US stations on AM and LSB, especially on CH38.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.