• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

To any and all S/S amp designers

Is the original poster awhere of the following?
At 14 volts it would take over 200 amps to = 3000 watts /2 for efficiency to get 1500 watts RF output from an amplifier.
Most high power amplifiers are 50 volts or higher so the devices are not so current hungry, much improve IMD and smaller lighter power supplies 'to some degree'.
There is on the horizon a single device 1500 watt amplifier being tested.
None of this type is inexpensive from any source.
On the other end of this subject is the tube types for that power level.
Big power takes over 3000 volts at nearly an amp. The power supplies are not cheap on this end, either.
Your lacking perspective from lack of overall knowledge.
Good luck.

Not only may combiners and splitters be different, but until you have board made up and can figure out how groundplane on circuit board will affect tuning, I think its at a stand still at this point. Too many variables like spacing between sections, stray capacitance and such have to b e figured in.

IMHO I cant understand the big draw for legal limit SS amps. Its not that big a deal to spin a couple knobs to change bands. There are even schemes to auto tune em if you are that afraid.

Agreed. Given the choice to run legal limit using solid state or hollow state I will take hollow state pretty much all the time. The only time I would go solid state is if the amp is a monobander. Speaking of that I must give my buddy a call and tell him I am ready to pick up that analog TV transmitter solid state 1.2 Kw amplifier for 6m. (y) Warren works as an engineer for the CBC and has several amp modules that operate on 6m without any retuning. then all I need is a 50 volt 50 amp power supply. :cry:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.