• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

To BE 200 Watts or NOT 2B

Wire Dawg

Jul 21, 2012
This forum has aided immensely in my decision to buy an RCI 2970n2. I wish to elicit advise in regards to whether I should peak its power, or just tune and align (retain the factory 100W AM/ 200W SSB). The radio is to be used mostly for DX'ing on SSB, so having the extra oomph may help. Conversely, if having the additional power means to shorten the radio's life or increasing rfi/, then I would opt for longevity. Is it worth peaking the power output? Are the "extra" watts significant? (I understand that it takes a ten-fold after the first 100W to make a meaningful impact) I'm not taking about the SWP jobs, but one from a reputable merchant. Would "power peaking' otherwise degrade the radio's output?

Reactions: 1 person

i once had a texas star 500 and a palomar 225 2x1446 . the extra 300pep didn't seem to make much difference on skip or to folks a few counties away . i say keep it clean and let it live a long easy life coasting along , i don't think doubling power has enough positive effect to justify trashing your signal or shorten the radio/amps life .

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people
This forum has aided immensely in my decision to buy an RCI 2970n2. I wish to elicit advise in regards to whether I should peak its power, or just tune and align (retain the factory 100W AM/ 200W SSB). The radio is to be used mostly for DX'ing on SSB, so having the extra oomph may help. Conversely, if having the additional power means to shorten the radio's life or increasing rfi/, then I would opt for longevity. Is it worth peaking the power output? Are the "extra" watts significant? (I understand that it takes a ten-fold after the first 100W to make a meaningful impact) I'm not taking about the SWP jobs, but one from a reputable merchant. Would "power peaking' otherwise degrade the radio's output?

Since your 2970 is set up as a 10m radio (wink wink) it must be converted to work on 11m. It will also need to be tuned and aligned properly so it can be it's best. You can take ANY radio out of the box and do a tune/alignment and you will increase and improve it's performance. This is a must and will not hurt the life of the radio. Beyond that a 2970 needs no exotic mods.

Reactions: 2 people
Thanks to all. It is not easy to resist the lure of cheap watts from these high powered radios, but I'm taking the less traveled road by sticking to factory power settings. My workhorse (an old TS 250) will be parked next to the new RCI for a much-deserved rest. If additional power is later needed, I can always look for a linear that accept the n2 as an exciter.

Thanks to all. It is not easy to resist the lure of cheap watts from these high powered radios, but I'm taking the less traveled road by sticking to factory power settings. My workhorse (an old TS 250) will be parked next to the new RCI for a much-deserved rest. If additional power is later needed, I can always look for a linear that accept the n2 as an exciter.

Good call. The extra power will not be noticed in the slightest except for extra heat and current draw. If you double the power you gain half an S-unit; no big deal. A good tune and alignment is all that is needed and leave the power at the factory settings will ensure the radio works it's best for a long time. I really never could understand people trying to squeeze every last watt out of a radio when the difference is undetectable on the receive end and simply stresses the radio and power supply more. If you want/need more power then get a bigger radio or amp and run it as it should be according to the manufacturer and not according to what Billy Bob's CB Hackshop and Bait Store says it should be.

Reactions: 3 people
Good call. The extra power will not be noticed in the slightest except for extra heat and current draw. If you double the power you gain half an S-unit; no big deal. A good tune and alignment is all that is needed and leave the power at the factory settings will ensure the radio works it's best for a long time. I really never could understand people trying to squeeze every last watt out of a radio when the difference is undetectable on the receive end and simply stresses the radio and power supply more. If you want/need more power then get a bigger radio or amp and run it as it should be according to the manufacturer and not according to what Billy Bob's CB Hackshop and Bait Store says it should be.

I just found the perfect name for referring to hack shops, thank you Capt KW.

I have to agree with whats being said. From what I have learned in a few years is that 1. keep it clean and don't overdrive the radio, 2. antenna, antenna, antenna, 3. use good coax and limit the # of joints in it.

Reactions: 5 people

Don't feel bad about that. I bought a HP radio on the used market. The first thing I did was send it out to get tuned by a good shop. if that meant losing a few watts to have a clean radio, then so be it. More power can always be added in the form of an amp. Clean in, clean out. If you don't need the extra oomph, then just turn it off. Enjoy your radio

Wire Dawg, I've talked to several guys that were running 2970n2's. They all sounded great, and I would ask about their setup. Each one of them said they kept the radio drive down, and ran an outboard amp with them. They all sounded really clean, with crystal clear audio. One ran a stock mic, the other ran a D104, and the other ran a Turner SSK.

Just my experiences in listening, they are a great sounding rig when not driven too hard. And they last a long time if you do it that way, too.

RT307

only thing id do is turn up the amc vr justa tad. leave power alone its not enough
to notice. best thing ya could do is get a amp that has 8x2879s ,like a texas star sweet sixteen and use the n2 as a driver. this would be a sweet combo.

Thanks for the reinforcement. I'm waiting for the radio, PS, antenna and base mic. I called the "codes" section for my City and got preliminary approval to install a 40' tower. Preliminary; because now they want to see drawings, tower specs, base/foundation strenght, a copy of the plot, and an overwhelming number of details prior to final approval. While I live in an older neighborhood (before HOA's became fashionable), there is an 'unofficial' association, from which City Codes will like to see a 'grace' letter. Meeting them on Friday at a gathering... It used to be so simple....just set up the antenna, hook up the radio and talk.

the only reason i would hold off on the 2970n2 is there a little bit unstable on sideband when the mosfets heat up during long qso's. it can be verified in the cbradiomagizine review and just by googleing.

that's the reason i chose to go with a 2950dx black face and an amp.

Thanks for the reinforcement. I'm waiting for the radio, PS, antenna and base mic. I called the "codes" section for my City and got preliminary approval to install a 40' tower. Preliminary; because now they want to see drawings, tower specs, base/foundation strenght, a copy of the plot, and an overwhelming number of details prior to final approval. While I live in an older neighborhood (before HOA's became fashionable), there is an 'unofficial' association, from which City Codes will like to see a 'grace' letter. Meeting them on Friday at a gathering... It used to be so simple....just set up the antenna, hook up the radio and talk.

I had a 2970N2. I did not tune it for maximum output and only adjusted the Am modulation for 100%. I found with a Astatic 575m6 microphone the audio was quite nice on AM and SSB.

When I bought my house it had a old TV antenna on top of a 40' tower. I took off the TV antenna and stuck a 10' stick of mast out of the tower and attached a Imax 2000 to it.
(Fingers crossed)
I have never had 1 complaint from my neighbors or anyone else about RFI or how it looks in the air. I run a clean station with just the output power of my Kenwood radio. I also put a 2 meter/70cm/6 meter antenna on a arm extender off the side of the tower about 35' up.
If it were up to me I would put up a Hex beam and a full sized G5RV, but for now being new to the neighborhood I'm trying to stay under the radar. I never contacted anyone at my local government to check if I was allowed to have antennas in the air.

This is what my local governments code/ordnance is for receptions antennas.
After reading it I find myself feeling my setup is ok but if they wanted to push the issue they (Local government) could make me take my Imax 2000 down. Probably fine me as well.

Roof or structure mounted facilities in single family
residential districts: In single-family
residential districts, reception antenna facilities
mounted on a roof of a building, or on a
structure more than three (3) feet in height,
shall be subject to the following regulations.
A. The antenna facility itself shall not be
larger than ten (10) feet in height or
diameter width. Moreover, the facility shall
be of perforated, mesh or rod and/or pole
construction, and shall not be of solid
sheet or panel construction.
B. A roof-mounted antenna facility shall be
located on that portion of the roof adjacent
to the rear yard on the property, and a
structure-mounted facility shall be located
in the rear yard area but shall not be
located in a required yard setback area.
C. No part of the antenna facility shall extend
higher than three (3) feet above the ridge
and/or peak of the roof, but in no event
higher than the maximum height limitation
in the zoning district in the case of a
building mounted facility; and/or
seventeen (17) feet above grade in the
case of a structure mounted facility.

Exclude from provisions of this Section,
conventional VHF and UHF television
antennae, FM reception antennae and
short wave radio antennae used by
amateur radio operators based upon the
following findings: there is relatively minor
concern for wind and snow load issues due
to an established safety record; there has
been an historical acceptance of such
facilities from architectural and aesthetic
standpoints; amateur radio operators
provide benefits to emergency service
providers.

Ihave a 2950 DX love it, great radio. And run it local 11 and 10 meters. When I want to shoot 10 meter skip I use a Texas star DX 350 HDV with 2X2879 you could use your 250 with great results. I hear the newer 2970's are better than the old. But I still like useing external watts.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.