• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

To swing or not to swing

I have no clue where Exton is? I live south of Vernonia, Oregon 35-ish miles north west of Portland.

Its all about RMS wattage not the swing!

he only missed by a few thousand miles . hehehehe

something i cant figgure out is that am and ssb modulated transmissions rely on pep to modulate the signal . our pills and the hams tubes are rated by pep capability and hams dont seem hung up on rms power . why are some cb'ers so hung up on it ?

he only missed by a few thousand miles . hehehehe

something i cant figgure out is that am and ssb modulated transmissions rely on pep to modulate the signal . our pills and the hams tubes are rated by pep capability and hams dont seem hung up on rms power . why are some cb'ers so hung up on it ?

I think it boils down to the fact the PEP meter should be showing about 4 times the RMS when the carrier is 100% modulated. Many CBer's think that's fake watts because they don't understand how much power modulation should really add to the carrier. The logic seems to be since the RMS meter shows so much less power then PEP, it must be the thing to go by.

I think it boils down to the fact the PEP meter should be showing about 4 times the RMS when the carrier is 100% modulated. Many CBer's think that's fake watts because they don't understand how much power modulation should really add to the carrier.

Your confused, its not that we think peak power is fake, its that we believe the reading on the peak meter is fake. 4 watts DK is 4 watts DK regardless of meter, but when you start talking about peak readings you have a PDC watts, Bird watts, my personal favorite "DOSY WATTS", and whoever else makes a meter, and they each tell you very different things.

The math is there to accurately calculate peak watts but the market doesn't seem to have a standard to display it.

The logic seems to be since the RMS meter shows so much less power then PEP, it must be the thing to go by.

The same logic applies here, because your Dosy says you have 75 peak watts it must be true because more is better... (that would be 35PDC watts and 45 Bird watts)

I use my scope when I tune and an RMS meter, whatever comes out on a peak meter after that is far more believable.

Jim

Reactions: NZ8N
"Your confused, its not that we think peak power is fake, its that we believe the reading on the peak meter is fake. 4 watts DK is 4 watts DK regardless of meter, but when you start talking about peak readings you have a PDC watts, Bird watts, my personal favorite "DOSY WATTS", and whoever else makes a meter, and they each tell you very different things. "

if bird watts are so much more accurate and they are your prefered brand of meter then why not use a 43P instead of their RMS/average meter and skip the math ?

You can't do your thing if you ain't got that swing

doo wap doo wap doo wap doo wap doo wap

I guess some folks have never heard of a Modulator. See Texas Star Mod V for one. Low dead key, big swing. Sounds good. And then there's Mosfets. Some folks don't believe they exist either.

Good grief. This is almost exciting as the Great Coax Wars of 1913 to present.

I think it's the 'O2' in that water. Goes to your head, makes you think. Terrible thing, thinking. Just cause your ears tell you one thing, it's probably not really what they're telling you.
- 'Doc

if bird watts are so much more accurate and they are your prefered brand of meter then why not use a 43P instead of their RMS/average meter and skip the math ?

No, Dosy should be the standard, it shows more so it must be right...

I will continue to use my scope for tuning, the end result is the same or better...

Reactions: NZ8N
fake

I was asked to join in on this thread. I am sure that some on this forum have heard what I have to say but it totally BLOWS MY MIND how many talk about the NPC-RC without having ever experienced it.

The above is absolutely the fact.The NPC-RC is the perfect NEGATIVE PEAK LIMITER but in the form of compression. Yes it can be done with just one tiny diode. Quit doubting it and simply do the NPC-RC on an 88 or any of the 3600xxxx boards.

I do AT LEAST 5 to 10 NPC-RC modifications per week and have been doing so for about 11 years. I have NEVER had a problem with the mod and it does NOT sound crappy to anyone that has heard my radios. It sounds fantastic and has NO NEGATIVE effects whatsoever.

Anyone that says that the Positive Peaks cannot be modulated to up to 400 % without having the negative peaks reach zero and flat-top has simply never seen the NPC-RC modification done correctly.

I was WA6DSE (Amateur Extra) for over 40 years. (Now expired) I was first class liscensed from 1966 until they discontinued that ticket. I worked with the NPC-RC modification for CB's in 1981. I used the idea in an amplifier that I manufactured from 1971--Golden Eagle--The class AB biased units with band filters.

Every time someone starts talking about swing kits on any of these forums this entire lists of posts gets re-posted as though they are new and all of the hams join in and tell the lowly cb'ers the same crap again without even taking time to find out the facts.

:D
radio doctor is a wanna be tech who works on buisness band radios and cbs for truckers at the pilot truck stop on the side of i-95 in milford ct.Wont/cant work on a real radio like a yaesu or kenwood.

are you sure you're talking about the same guy?

the cbdoctor who you quoted is named Billy Dean Ward, and he has been around for a long, long time.

i also dont think he operates out of Ct.

always good to make sure you know who you are referring to before you make such strong statements.
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated