• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Too Ironic!!!

cyclops1970

Gay Nazi Liberation Party
Apr 5, 2005
Bristol, VA
From the ARRL:

"Be Careful on 10 Meters (Jun 4, 2008) -- With recent band openings beginning on 10 meters, ARRL has received word that a number of amateurs have been heard using SSB below 28.300. "We urge everyone to remember that 28.000 to 28.300 MHz is reserved for RTTY and data, including CW," said ARRL Field and Regulatory Correspondent Chuck Skolaut, K0BOG. "Phone is permitted from 28.300 to 28.500 for Novice and Technician class licensees with a maximum power of 200 W. Phone and image are allowed from 28.300 up to 29.700 for General, Advanced and Extra class license holders." Skolaut, who manages the Official Observer and Intruder Watch programs, said that people have called and e-mailed ARRL HQ inquiring about hearing IDs repeated in code on various 10 meter frequencies. "What they are hearing are beacons," Skolaut said; he suggests checking out some Web sites for more information on beacons you might hear on 10 meters and other bands."

Freebanders use the lower part of 10 illegally. Now it turns out a few hams are doing it as well. Tsk, tsk.

Them voice operators on 10 need to learn to stay above 28.300.

Do they have this stuff on the written test anymore? What are they teaching hams these days?

Apparently........not MUCH! It is also the fault of multi-guess question pools where people can skim across the material and memorize JUUUUST enough to get by. All they 'keer" is that they git that lah'cense.
It's all over QRZ where the newbies, with the ink not dry on the ticket, are full of questions about 10 Meters. Some of them think they can run AM or FM on 28.400, and when told they can't, get a bit miffed (sniff......I can't see why I cain't tawk on AM with mah Connex on 28.4!!!!!")

READ THE FREAKIN' MATERIAL!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

(y)

CWM

Now Now CW have you ever heard of being a ELMER? Remember way back when you got your ticket! You or somebody helped you. Right or were you one of those that knew it all right out of the box? So instead of making fun of others by spelling poorly etc why not teach instead of chastising others. Teach don't taunt. It's guys like you that are helping kill this great hobbie called Amateur radio. So go ahead don't promote the hobbie make fun of newbies who cares about them. Hell they did not get their ticket the real way w/code so they are not real hams Right? WRONG! Oh well back to chaseing interlopers off of the 10 meter bands. Do not forget to chase your own brother hams off too! Yes and since you have a direct line to the FCC call them and tell them the way they test is all wrong.It's too easy not making real hams. Go for it Sheriff of the radio CWM our man of the year?

Now Now CW have you ever heard of being a ELMER? Remember way back when you got your ticket! You or somebody helped you. Right or were you one of those that knew it all right out of the box? So instead of making fun of others by spelling poorly etc why not teach instead of chastising others. Teach don't taunt. It's guys like you that are helping kill this great hobbie called Amateur radio. So go ahead don't promote the hobbie make fun of newbies who cares about them. Hell they did not get their ticket the real way w/code so they are not real hams Right? WRONG! Oh well back to chaseing interlopers off of the 10 meter bands. Do not forget to chase your own brother hams off too! Yes and since you have a direct line to the FCC call them and tell them the way they test is all wrong.It's too easy not making real hams. Go for it Sheriff of the radio CWM our man of the year?

Actually, it's not happening on just 10 meters. There was one father and son who both got their Tech tickets around here. They decided to work 20 meter DX one night in the General portion of the HF phone band. Now....first off there is no Tech allocation on 20 meters AT ALL.... and they ended up getting a letter from Riley over it.

Now...if someone is not intelligent enough to be able to read a digital display, refer to chart, and know they're not supposed to be there I don't think they're qualified to have a license, and no amount of Elmering will help them. It's obvious they're either stupid or can't follow even the simplest instructions and will end up being a danger to themselves and others if allowed to progress up the ranks.

"Can't stay in the allocation?? Oh, that's ok. Here, take this Alpha amp and see what you can do with it."

I have to admit that I agree with CW about the quality of the tests today and it has NOTHING to do with the CW requirement. Earlier today I read a thread on qrz.com started by a ham that has been on HF for a couple years so he says. He wanted to know how to adjust his Wilson 5000 antenna so he could use LSB on 10m. He had a good match on USB but was worried about how to tune the antenna for LSB. :blink: That's some good learning right there I'll tell ya. :eek:

I have to admit that I agree with CW about the quality of the tests today and it has NOTHING to do with the CW requirement. Earlier today I read a thread on qrz.com started by a ham that has been on HF for a couple years so he says. He wanted to know how to adjust his Wilson 5000 antenna so he could use LSB on 10m. He had a good match on USB but was worried about how to tune the antenna for LSB. :blink: That's some good learning right there I'll tell ya. :eek:

That was the point of my post! READ-THE-MATERIAL!!!!!! It is ONE thing to "elmer" (which I have done FAR more than anyone here knows), but it STILL goes back to the old adage: You can lead them to water, but you can't make 'em drink!!! Most of the material IS there (or even on the internet if we will look for it). And the evidence of what I was posting is nowhere more glaring than on QRZ! As to the above, I REST my case.
Again, the METHOD by which we test; that is, permitting people to memorize the question pool, is FLAWED! It has nothing to do with CW. It has to do with people MEMORIZING the answers to the tests without garnering ANY understanding of the material. The result is.....................
what is posted above!!! :drool:

CWM

The real problem that I see concerning the process of getting your ticket has nothing to do with the actual tests. I don't understand how the government will require people to learn so much about something, and then has serious punishments for those that break/ or abuse the rules. When they do not make it mandatory to have actual class room instruction time.

I mean seriously, what other license can you get from the government without having to take some sort of class or a minimum amount of hours in a class room? Basically what they are doing is leaving a match book in a locked room with a group of children waiting to see who burns the house down. They want to amatures to be well trained but yet they leave it up to the individual to learn everything on there own, and then when they do just enough to get by and do something wrong they are the first ones there to slap a large fine on them.

It just doesn't make any sense, someone needs to inform the mighty FCC that we do not live in the 1970's anymore. The world and our society has changed, people need structure now more than ever. So what do they do....they make it easier!

And people wonder why I stick to 11 meters.

From the ARRL:

"Be Careful on 10 Meters (Jun 4, 2008) -- With recent band openings beginning on 10 meters, ARRL has received word that a number of amateurs have been heard using SSB below 28.300."<snip>

This is a USA bandplan.

Many americans think we rule the entire world, but in fact we do not.
For example, the Canadian bandplan for 10 meters says that 28200.5 to 29300 is for "CW, Phone". So if you hear a canadian voice QSO between 28200 and 28300, you can just go pound sand. But this is just one example.

And btw in canada, 28120-28123 is for psk, 28670-28690 is for sstv & fax, and 29000-29200 is AM just like the US.

Apparently British OFCOM doesnt even mandate any bandplans, as long as your within the ham bands, no problem.

This is a USA bandplan.

Many americans think we rule the entire world, but in fact we do not.
For example, the Canadian bandplan for 10 meters says that 28200.5 to 29300 is for "CW, Phone". So if you hear a canadian voice QSO between 28200 and 28300, you can just go pound sand. But this is just one example.

And btw in canada, 28120-28123 is for psk, 28670-28690 is for sstv & fax, and 29000-29200 is AM just like the US.

Apparently British OFCOM doesnt even mandate any bandplans, as long as your within the ham bands, no problem.

Your info is old. I can operate voice anywhere between the band limits on ANY band. We are dictated by bandwidth not by mode so if you ever hear a Canadian operating voice on 28.005 or even 3.505 he is 100% legal. He is a fool but nevertheless a legal fool. :D

Apparently........not MUCH! It is also the fault of multi-guess question pools where people can skim across the material and memorize JUUUUST enough to get by. All they 'keer" is that they git that lah'cense.
It's all over QRZ where the newbies, with the ink not dry on the ticket, are full of questions about 10 Meters. Some of them think they can run AM or FM on 28.400, and when told they can't, get a bit miffed (sniff......I can't see why I cain't tawk on AM with mah Connex on 28.4!!!!!")

READ THE FREAKIN' MATERIAL!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

(y)

CWM

What's up with the mocking southern accent?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.