• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Top Gun compressor

Mar 22, 2008
Not sure why the Top Gun gets the bad reviews . I like them and always try to do my research before buying. Lately while browsing through schematics, I seen something cool. The K40 had a good mic circuit and sounded pretty good also. The schematic shows an opamp with a diode combo, resistor and a pair of capacitors in its feedback circuit. If you read the Top Gun Compressor instructions, they utilize the Galaxy’s mic preamp circuit in the same fashion minus the capacitors used for tone. Just an interesting observation and for those that like the K40, the Top Gun is a option for it
4182BC94-5043-4ED5-87EF-B038DA54E0FC.jpeg

Attachments

• 75307DC7-BE74-4AD2-8ED3-71438DCB2970.jpeg
    75307DC7-BE74-4AD2-8ED3-71438DCB2970.jpeg
    368.4 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

I had no idea that the K40 had that in it. So does the Galaxy preamp have this? Is that part of what makes that "Big" Galaxy sound? Or is the Top Gun like the Galaxy with K40 stuff? I guess I am just full of questions now....

the pic is a schematic section of the Galaxy 44 or any other radio that uses a 4558 for a mic preamp. pin 3 is the audio input and pin 1 is the output. Pin 1 and 2 form the feedback section. The Top Gun CP1 removes the R165 gain resistor and inserts the CP1 two wires. Between the two wires are two diodes in parallel with a resistor for gain.Guitar pedal guys play around with this same clipper in the TS808 pedals, they also utilize the 4558 opamp but play with diode combos, ie one diode and the other is an LED for an "asymmetric" clipping. I can cut apart a spare CP1 I have to verify. The R165 varies in gain for different radios from 270k to 470k. More resistance , more gain.
44v.png CP1.png

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.