• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Top Gun Modulator MD-1 and Compressor CP-1 check this out

If one picture is worth a thousand words then looking at the two waveforms on the scope says it all.

Techs like NorthStar, nomadradio and FL Native should be all over that.....

Yeah, it shows that it's over modulated. A little over modulation can sound pretty good on AM, but there is such a thing as too much. At least the negative peaks are still there in that pic.

The Magnums I seen when the topgun on is way more overmodulated than the scope form in that pic. Compare it to a well tuned galaxy. The galaxy looks alot better. Same power output as well. I saw a Cobra 29 with a 2SC2078 doing 32 watts yesterday that looked better than the magnum with topgun on a scope!

Sine wave demonstrations tell you nothing about how a dynamically controlled circuit will respond to complex (voice) waveforms... How long was this sine wave applied before the pic was snapped? Just because it is not clipping in this pic does not mean it will not clip with voice.

That said... the most important tool to achieving louder audio is a clipper! True... clipping causes distortion but if done correctly, quite a bit of clipping can be applied before that distortion becomes offensive. Don't take my word for it, hook your scope up to your AM/FM stereo and see what the professionals get away with. :)

riq165

You're right, Riq...actually we had a pretty lengthy thread a while back about negative peak compression and one of the topics was about how it's used in broadcast audio stations.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.