• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Top One Ground Plane Base Antenna

Hello all.
I saw this Top One antenna for... I was thinking about buying it for a backup antenna.... Does anyone use it or has any experience with it. The add says It is 11.5' tall (Space saver)
Top Radiation - This design results in increased range, fewer dead spots. This is especially important where installed height is limited. Radiates approximately 15' higher than most antennas which radiate at the bottom.

Lower Angle of Radiation - Your signal hugs the curvature of the earth instead of shooting your power up into the sky, which means greater distance than an ordinary omni-directional antenna.
is it snake oil or a winner.....

This is not SPAM just looking for a good backup antenna!! PICTURE

The Top One is a CHEAP copy of the Avanti Astroplane.

The original Astroplane had a huge following, but I was never really impressed by it. Using the law of numbers, I'm probably wrong with my assesment. :D

The Top One is made with marginal materials. NEW its only a $40.00 antenna. I'd only take one if it was free.

The Astroplane is a perfect example of the "outside-the-box" engineering that Avanti did. This design was latter applied to the Sigma IV. Besides the I-10K, the Avanti antennas are still my favorite.

Speaking directly to your post; Avanti designed this antenna to battle the height restrictions for CB radio. They correctly stated that by getting as much of the antenna up above obstructions, it would yield better results. This is a no-brainer. So they compacted the antenna so it could occupy the 49' to 60' height rather than the 38' to 60' range of the popular 5/8 (or .64) antennas.

There has been arguments whether this antenna is a 1/2 wave or a 5/8 wave. I don't know if that argument was ever settled and I don't have the answer.

As far as the second statement about hugging the curvature of the earth.....NO. Radio waves at 27MHz travel in a straight line. As a matter of fact, so do ALL radio waves. Lower frequencies (AM Broadcast) will "hug the curvature of the earth", but this is not an accurate statment. It works good for layman terms.

A lower angle of radiation will put more signal out to the horizon rather than off into space. Once it gets to the horizon, it might skip back to earth or bend in the ionosphere.

Does the Top One (Astroplane) provide a low angle of radiation? I don't think so. I could be wrong though! Someone would have to prove it to me!

This antenna, along with the Sigma IV, are both being modeled as we speak. The proof will be in the pudding! 8)

BTW, any more than $5.00 for the Top One would be too much!

"That's just MY opinion, I could be wrong!"

while both the Astro Plane and the Starduster were formidable antennas in their day, unfortunately they were not built to last one's lifetime. I too would be wary of the top gun and it's quality of materials.

I ran the Top One for alttle while. It's comparable in
performance to a A-99 in my opinion. I got alot
less noise on the Top One compared to fiberglass
antennas i've tried here though.
Not bad and not great. The aluminum is not the
best, but, it should last for awhile.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.