1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Topgun quad 5?

Discussion in 'CB and Export Equipment and Accessories' started by codeman, Oct 24, 2015.

1. codeman

codeman Recovering Crackerhead

Looking at getting a new radio and the quad 5 looks interesting to me. I like the programming options and the style. I just would like to hear some opinions on it from folks who have used one or at least heard one over the air. Is it just a renamed Alpha 10 or have improvements really been made to it. The other radios I like are the RCI 2950 and the Galaxy 99v2. I have been hoping Rf limited would come out with a new lineup, but it doesn't look like it will be anytime soon. More info on the radio is at topguntech.com. I am looking for a good ssb radio that also sounds good on am.Thanks

#1 codeman, Oct 24, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2015

2. space cowboy

space cowboy Quack Quack

I haven't heard the top gun, but I give my 2950DX (y)(y).
    I've used it both base(echomax) and mobile(road devil), good reports either way.

3. undertaker

undertaker Undertaker

2950dx all the way!!!

4. BigKahuna

BigKahuna Active Member

An Optima, 2950dx or Lincoln II are going to be of better quality most likely.

5. AudioShockwav

AudioShockwav Extraterrestrial Admin
    Staff Member

Sold as many different clones. download 3610 download (3) download (4) MAAASH Quad_5_Radio_Top_Gun_Tech_Lg
    I have gotten very good service from the 2950DX radios.

Jeff

6. codeman

Thanks for the replies, I believe you guys have sold me on the 2950. I almost bought one three years ago when I bought my Magnum S45. I really like that radio. Just wondering if a sp1 speech processor would be a good fit for the 2950. I have read mostly good about them. Would that be a good choice to run with a nice canceling mic as the radio would be used mobile. Or would I be better off using a good power mike to get some better audio?

7. 9C1Driver

9C1Driver Sr. Member

I would think all it needs is a correct alignment. Since it's a surface mount radio make sure who ever you have install the SP1A is good at what they do.

222DBFL likes this.
  8. 222DBFL

222DBFL Sr. Member

Might be easier to get a good mic. Something like an RF Limited 2018 extreme. It has noise cancelling and is a power/echo mic. You can turn the echo completely off as well. Like said, whoever you have do the work, make sure they know how to work on SMT. I know there are some out there. Just have to look around. I do like the idea of the SP1, and wonder how it would sound with one of those radios with the stock mic.

9. space cowboy

space cowboy Quack Quack

road devil run at 1/8.

10. NorthStar

NorthStar Administrator

Stryker SR 955HPC is a better radio all around than those mentioned above.

11. 222DBFL

222DBFL Sr. Member

Don't know if the 955 is better, it's a good radio, but so is the optima mk3, one of the best SSB radios as far as exports go. Does the Stryker 955 have a 2nd filter just for SSB. Nope, optima mk3 is the only one. It's all about opinions. And we all have different views of what truly makes a good radio!! JMHO.

12. codeman

I want a radio with memory and scan. So the Stryker is out along with Galaxy radios. Plus I just don't like the looks of the Stryker. I have heard them on SSB and AM, they do sound go though.The more I look at the Optima the more I like. It would be easy to jump around the band with just a couple of buttons. That is one thing I really like about my magnum s45.
    I like the built in fan with the optima as well. I had twin fans mounted on the back of my Magnum and the radio does not get hot at all. Just wondering what mic I could use in the mobile with the Optima? I really like my RF Limited 2018 Extreme. I know it really woke my Uniden 980 up.

13. hotrod

hotrod Well-Known Member

lincoln 2 is a good radio. 2 locals here run them sound great ! not sure about scan and memory. worth looking into imho.
    otima gets some good reviews also. these are the only 2 id even consider for ssb exports

14. hotrod

hotrod Well-Known Member

lincoln 2 also has a 2nd filter

15. Tucker442

Tucker442 101E

The Quad radio is the same as a Anytone Version 6., Good radio but there are a lot of better choices, Stryker 955HP I like a lot but the best radio in my collection and I have a lot of radios is the Yeticom Optima, it just does it all and does it a little better than them all. My 2 Cents

222DBFL likes this.