• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Topgun quad 5?

Hotrod, so you are stating the Lincoln 2 version 3 indeed has a 2nd IF filter for SSB only? I haven't seen any specs stating so. I know the optima mk3 has a 2nd 455khz filter just for SSB. The first being at 10.695. It's the only export I know of with this feature. Can you show me some specs like the pic below. Note the receiver specs. Just curious is all. Thx for any replies. Good day.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    220.9 KB · Views: 7
If you can find a real Icom hm36 mic for the optima mk3 they work well paired together. If you order direct from the dealer you'll get an upgraded mic that only the dealer will supply. All other radios being sold like on eBay Coke with the small phantom mic. They are small!! Anyway. Just some info. Good day to all.

Reactions: camaro1
Yep. Sorry forgot to mention that the real ones that are the good ones were made in Japan, although the new Icom HM36 mics are made in China and not Japan. And I'm not talking about the cheap ass clones! The real HM36 Icom mic from Japan works well with the optima mk3. I tried an HM12 and the HM36 seemed to have more punch to it than the hm12. Both mics do work well as do some other Icom mics as well.

Hotrod, so you are stating the Lincoln 2 version 3 indeed has a 2nd IF filter for SSB only? I haven't seen any specs stating so. I know the optima mk3 has a 2nd 455khz filter just for SSB. The first being at 10.695. It's the only export I know of with this feature. Can you show me some specs like the pic below. Note the receiver specs. Just curious is all. Thx for any replies. Good day.
re Optima ....Incorrect SSB only uses the 10.695mhz I.F path in single conversion the switchable ssb filter is in the 10.695mhz I.F stage after the primary main filter .
Am/Fm use firstly the primary main 10.695mhz filer then the 455khz filter in other words dual conversion in am/fm

Lincoln MkII (all versions) is also single conversion ssb dual conversion am/fm modes ..... no extra ssb filter

Mike

Thanks for the replies and 2 cents from every one. I think I have got it down to either the Yeticom MK 3 or the Lincoln 2. I like both for the small size and features. Either would make a nice and easy radio to put in my pickup. Saving my quarters, dime and nickels right now, I believe I have enough for either. Right now I am leaning towards the Yeticom. But I'll watch more youtube videos and read more reviews and I'm sure I'll change my mind a half dozen times between now and purchase time. I still like the looks of the rci 2950dx3, but really want something compact.

Hey 222 DB FL I was asking about Mikes for use in a mobile situation. Looking for a nice noise canceling mic. I believe the Mikes coming with the Yeticom radios have been improved. But have read that the Icom 36 mikes are great for the optimas. Would one of the Rf 2018 mikes work with the yeticom? Talking about the one that gets it's power from the radio. I know I would need to have it rewired, but would it work?

I know when you order the Optimas you can have it set for export mode. Is there any need to have the radio aligned or are they good to go out of the box. Not wanting any more power, just want the radio to be on frequency and receive as it should.

Thanks!

Last edited:
The optima comes set in freeband mode. I would buy it direct from Yeticom, or the site survial systems.com or something along those lines. They are the dealer of the radio and only through them will you get the better mic. It may be noise cancelling idk. No specs available. I'm sure when you order you can ask. And yes with an Icom 8 pin to cobra 4 pin adapter you can get off eBay, you can use the 2018 extreme. And they work well with the radio as well. Have one I've used on it, but my Icom HM36 made in Japan mic seems to get the best audio reports all the way around. They are a grest mic. The hm36 and the hm12 can sometimes sound different. Ive a friend with 2 Icom 746's one is a pro and I also have one, non pro, and the hm12 mic works the best with that radio and my voice over the hm36. Put it on the optima, the hm12 that is and it doesn't sound as good as the hm36. It's weird I know. I would order the radio direct form the dealer. Cost is about $300 with shipping from New Zealand. But Mike will put the Yobbo touch on it and also you get the added mic. Should come ready to rock and roll. I got mine from a forum member here a while ago. Couple years almost, can't remember, but mine came with the small phantom mic which is what you'll get if you order off eBay. And no warranty from the eBay ones. But I won my Icom hm36 mic off eBay for like $25 shipped. So I was happy. The mic was slightly used but you couldn't tell.
At any rate I have seen and heard the Lincoln 2 on air as a local has one. They sound good. But I like my optima mk3 due to the simplicity of it and the way it performs. Has a fan that kicks on with ptt and stays on for 30 sec. You can't get one hot!! Not unless you have smoked it somehow!! They are rugged and well built radios. I like the Lincoln 2 as well, but for what it's worth I works spend a bit more coin and find a used kenwood ts480hx. 200 watts on SSB and they do well on am too for an HFradio. It might cost a bit more. But you're getting a whole lot more radio!!! Different league!!

Reactions: codeman
Thanks 222 DB FL, lots of good information there. I plan on ordering directly from Yeticom. Really like the power and like you say simple to use layout of the Optimas. I'm just a cb 'er / freebander, so either the Optima or Lincoln will suite me for now.

Reactions: 222DBFL
I've got a brand new Top Gun Quad 5 and I really like it. I also have a ton of other radios to compare it with including an RCI 2950. I give the Quad 5 a slightly higher rating than the 2950. The only mod it has is the one for 11 meters. The advantage of the Top Gun over the 2950 is as follows: More power, better modulation with the stock mic, 7 digit freq counter, and programmable from a computer connection if desired. In all other aspects they seem to be about equal.

Reactions: undertaker
I've got a brand new Top Gun Quad 5 and I really like it. I also have a ton of other radios to compare it with including an RCI 2950. I give the Quad 5 a slightly higher rating than the 2950. The only mod it has is the one for 11 meters. The advantage of the Top Gun over the 2950 is as follows: More power, better modulation with the stock mic, 7 digit freq counter, and programmable from a computer connection if desired. In all other aspects they seem to be about equal.

Hope you enjoy it I have the Anytone 5555 version 6 which is the same radio with a different faceplate name and it's a great radio. I have heard people having issues but I never did and use it in my mobile for over 2 years now. Good Luck

Reactions: undertaker
Looking at getting a new radio and the quad 5 looks interesting to me. I like the programming options and the style. I just would like to hear some opinions on it from folks who have used one or at least heard one over the air. Is it just a renamed Alpha 10 or have improvements really been made to it. The other radios I like are the RCI 2950 and the Galaxy 99v2. I have been hoping Rf limited would come out with a new lineup, but it doesn't look like it will be anytime soon. More info on the radio is at topguntech.com. I am looking for a good ssb radio that also sounds good on am.Thanks
i have a quad 5 and all i can say is its a great radio. i donot use the echo when this radio is used properly it is one of the best sounding radios on the air. ssb is more stable then most radios. ive been a ham radio operator since 1994 i have had many radios over the years. i decided to get back into 10/11 meters and this radio is a great for that. if your a cb operator and want more this radio is for you.i will say the most fun i ever had was on 80 meters make the next step and get a upgraded you wont regret it. untill then have fun shooting skip. God bless ......rick

I have the quad 5 version 7 and well I don't know what to think because it only has half a board and no adjustments pods no variables of any kind just one big fixed circuit crap with low modulation on any power mic and no nowhere to clip the limiter nobody knows where it is in this version

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated