• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tower model identification

TimmyTheTorch

Dec 11, 2022
Northeast Wisconsin
I am looking around for a good, used tower somewhere around 40 feet tall. I'm open to freestanding as well as ones that need to be guyed/bracketed. I plan on having a hinged base to help make it a bit easier to take it down because I do tend to like to try a lot of different things. To start I'll have a Maco M104C horizontal and a Maco V58 above that on a Yaesu rotator.

I came across this tower for sale and all it says is it's a 50 foot Rohn. The seller does not know the model or age. Do any of you folks know by looking at this picture what model it is, or even what model it is not? It looks like the the support bars zig-zag with no parallel parts. The pictures I see of the 25G and 45 G both have a horizontal brace then angled.

Thanks.

RohnTower.JPG

Here's what a 25G section apparently looks like and the highlighted parts don't look the same.

1672778965097.png

Top picture is Rohn. Rohn 45 has 16.75 in. leg spacing. Rohn 20 & 25 has 11.25 in spacing.

The ROHN 25G Tower Section is 16 gauge steel Tubing, whereas the ROHN 20G Tower Section is 18 gauge steel Tubing. The ROHN 20G 10 Foot main Tower Section consists of 6 bays spaced approximately 18.25 inches while the ROHN 25G 10 Foot main Tower Section consists of 7 bays spaced approximately 15.75 inches.

Alrighty, so the first one is indeed a Rohn 45G but it's not the one he still has for sale. He sold the 45G several months ago so you'd think he'd update the listing but nope. However he does still happen to have two 10 foot 25G straight sections and a 25G top section lying around outside somewhere for $300. No thanks.

I still haven't heard back on the second one for sale.

It's been a long time since I've had a pleasant experience on c****slist.org.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I am looking around for a good, used tower somewhere around 40 feet tall. I'm open to freestanding as well as ones that need to be guyed/bracketed. I plan on having a hinged base to help make it a bit easier to take it down because I do tend to like to try a lot of different things. To start I'll have a Maco M104C horizontal and a Maco V58 above that on a Yaesu rotator.

I came across this tower for sale and all it says is it's a 50 foot Rohn. The seller does not know the model or age. Do any of you folks know by looking at this picture what model it is, or even what model it is not? It looks like the the support bars zig-zag with no parallel parts. The pictures I see of the 25G and 45 G both have a horizontal brace then angled.

Thanks.

View attachment 61969
Here's what a 25G section apparently looks like and the highlighted parts don't look the same.

View attachment 61970

Some time back I bought a tower and it looked to me to be a ROHN. I emailed them pictures and they told me it was not. I didn't really pursue it any more, but ROHN was kind enough to verify for me. I guess what I'm saying is it's sometimes best to contact the manufacture for the definitive answer on their products.
I'm not poo pooing the knowledge of the members here as I have gained much knowledge by being here. Just suggesting, and it's a good topic to bring up with so many different towers out there.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.