• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Toyota Tundra Radio(s) Install

Skysho

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Jan 10, 2010
Salem, OR
Anybody have any experience in mount remote heads into a 2014 Tundra? Have a couple radios (Yaesu 350/857) I want to get up somewhere close to the front. Right now they are in a Ram, and the 350 sits in front of the speedometer on the steering wheel housing and the 857 down below and to the left of the steering wheel. Thanks in advance mega thanks if you could send pictures.

Bryant

I'll let you know in the spring. :laugh: Looking at possibly mounting an Icom 2m radio and a Yaesu FT-857 in my 2012 Tundra Crew Max. For a truck with such a huge cab the mounting places are pretty tight. I will likely mount the Yaesu under the seat or on the side of the forward floor console and mount the control head on a small pedestal mount or possibly from a bracket mounted to a block inserted into the small storage bin located below the heater/AC controls. I was thinking about making a small block of wood that will fit in that hole and mount the control head to it making it so it fits neat and snug. That way it is out of the way of the gear shifter and well situated for use. That will have to wait until warmer weather however. I have no garage to work in and it was -20C last night or about -4F.

Brodit Proclip mounts are excellent for doing this. They're supposed to be for screwing the Brodit mobile phone holders to but they make an excellent mounting point for head units. I use one and it supports the head unit of my TS480 which is the heaviest of all with no problem. No holes to drill, easy to remove when you sell and its custom built for the specific vehicle you order for.

They only have one position for the 2014 Tundra. They usually have four or five location options for most vehicles so I guess its a new model they're just starting to cover. However it is nice and high on the dash just above the fresh air vent to the right of the instrument cluster. Screw the head mounting plate from the 857 to it and job done.

ProClip*Toyota*Tundra*2014*854957*|*Brodit

854957-4.jpg

Those Proclips look interesting. I was thinking about Ram Mounts when I first read this thread.

http://www.rammount.com/Home/tabid/37/Default.aspx

They have something for just about anything and will support entire radios or even stacked radios. You just need to have the room for them. In my last vehicle I used a pedestal mount originally intended for a cell phone handset, the older mobile type and not a handheld type. It worked great and would support a complete 2m rig if I wanted it too. I see Proclip does have a mount intended to go where I was thinking about, in the small coin box in front of the shifter and just below the controls for the heater and the transfer case.

I tried one of those goose/swan neck AMPS mounts from Mountguys last year and the wobbling of the head unit of my Icom 7000 as I drove down the road drove me mad.

The TS480 head unit is way heavier than the 7000 was and it doesn't move at all on the Brodit. I actually came across them by accident as I bought one of their complete mounts for my Samsung Galaxy S3 phone and when I was installing it I had one of those "I wonder if" moments. So I tried it and ended up ordering another proclip to go down on the centre console for the phone.:D

Where the TS480 is I can keep both hands on the wheel and just turn the VFO knob with my little finger.

The pedestal mount I used was not a goose neck but rather a solid shaft type and was very sturdy. Way overkill for just a faceplate. :laugh: I may have to look at those Proclips when I decide to do something with the truck in the spring.

Proclip is inviting!

Thanks for the Proclip suggestion! I'm visiting the rigs at the dealership tomorrow (still trying to decide which one to buy), so I'll measure up. I'm with CK, they look like the answer. My other thought was mount the heads in the center storage, the radios can go way back under the rear seats. That way when I pull off the antennas the radios are concealed in the center console. They don't work as well as up on the dash but in the console I may quit spinning the dial while streaking down the highway.

I know I'm not in the same country but I've never had a problem with my head units being on display. I think its because people don't know what they are. They're clearly not Satnavs (although the new FT400 may be mistaken for one) and they're obviously nothing to do with the in car audio so they tend not to be interested.

I once had a car broken into and in the glove box was the head unit of my TS480. They stole the Satnav that was also in there but left the head unit on the seat. Nobody passing by took it either.

Thanks for the Proclip suggestion! I'm visiting the rigs at the dealership tomorrow (still trying to decide which one to buy), so I'll measure up. I'm with CK, they look like the answer. My other thought was mount the heads in the center storage, the radios can go way back under the rear seats. That way when I pull off the antennas the radios are concealed in the center console. They don't work as well as up on the dash but in the console I may quit spinning the dial while streaking down the highway.

I know the 2014 Tundras were redesigned but I think the interiors are mostly the same.The 2012 I have is the Crew Max model with the huge cab and center storage console. I would think it would be extremely awkward to try and see the display much less operate any of the controls if the faceplate were mounted in there. I find it awkward just digging change out of the coin tray inside it. It makes a nice storage bin however.I would mount the faceplate on the dash somewhere and just snap it off and toss it in the storage bin when not in use if you want. Or in one of the two glove box storage bins. Or in any one of the others. The one thing you cannot say about the Tundra Crew Max is that there is a shortage of storage space. :laugh:

I picked up the Tundra last night and I think the Proclips are the answer but I'll wait to see what other models they develop for the 2014. Appreciate the tip. I agree on the storage space Capt, I just did the double cab I figured that rear seat in the crewmax would have made me the clear choice for hauling folks around. The heads in the console would suck and I think there is space to make both radios work.

The double cab has the full bench seat in the back as well so you may still be hauling folks around. LOL My Crew Max actually has an inch or two more legroom in the back than in the front. My teenaged boys like to slide the seat forward and recline back on long drives. As a result when we do go somewhere and the wife asks "Whose vehicle? Yours or mine?" the kids pipe up say say mine. She has a 2013 RAV-4. I just wish i got the fuel mileage she gets with hers. :cry:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.