• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base TRAM 1498

It's difficult to get an antenna to radiate a decent signal pattern when it's mounted in an attic. While you will have problems with big pieces of metal (furnaces, AC evaporators, etc.), the real problem comes from the numerous nails used in the framing and the roofing of the house. These nails pretty much form a metal shield of sorts, and wreak havoc with the radiated pattern and swr. Unless you have no other option, I would forget an antenna in your attic.

There's no way I'd mount the 1498 in the attic but I do have a dipole in the attic that I I've used for years with good results. I understand results may vary but for me it's done well although nowhere to near the performance of the maco.

I've had good luck with my attic antennas as well.
Homemade CB antennas as well as a 10-20-40 meter end fed.
Have recently moved my radio setup from the garage into the office on the other side of the house. From there, the back yard is more convenient for antenna placement. The best things about an attic antenna are the stealth :cautious: and no worries from wind or weather. (n)

Reactions: Woody-202
Well the tram antenna made it in today and I have to say first impressions are good so far. Best quality of parts and workmanship I've seen in a long time. Nicely machined parts, nice flush joints and even the hardware looks and feels good. I thought I'd seen somewhere that they are made in the good o'l USA but the box says made in Thailand. Not a total bust but I liked the idea of buying something American when it ordered it. So anyhow, I'll try to share some pictures tomorrow or the weekend of it's disassembled form for anyone that might be considering one. The real test will be when we put some fire in the wire though. I'll keep updating the thread as I move along.

I had the PT99 before I got my Antron 99 & I replaced the PT99 because it broke at the lower joint in a small thunderstorm.The company sent me a new piece to repair it but I had already replaced it with the Antron 99.I can't tell any difference in the two antennas myself but the Antron 99 has been thru several Hurricanes & dozens & dozens of Florida thunderstorms & it has held up very well & I have talked all over the world with it so I have Zero complaints.I gave the PT99 to a friend & he uses it on 10 meters & he had to recoat it with some new fiberglass because it was coming apart badly.

SIX-SHOOTER

Reactions: NZ8N and 2NC995
any updates on this antenna? any splatter or tvi?

Very interesting

2000 watts for sure?
I have a 1498 at 36 feet for about 6 months. So far so good. Good receive and good reports on transmit. No issues or malfunctions. I run 1K through it. No problem there but not not sure about 2K. Has been well worth the low cost. I plan on replacing it with a Sirio 2016 sometime soon. Be interesting to compare the two

I have a 1498 at 36 feet for about 6 months. So far so good. Good receive and good reports on transmit. No issues or malfunctions. I run 1K through it. No problem there but not not sure about 2K. Has been well worth the low cost. I plan on replacing it with a Sirio 2016 sometime soon. Be interesting to compare the two
i have a 2016..which replaced a snapped imax.. it recieves slightly better and tx slightly better also.. imho i think the macov 5/8 would be slightly better than my sirio

001-antena.jpg
Riverman71: If your looking to run Horz antenna in attic. You might try a Double Bazooka antenna.
They can be less affected by metal and junk in close proximity to elements than others...they are normally broad-banded also and easy to tune once you get them in place. However do not try to tune them in a different location and then change mounting,
They work the best when tuned where final location is set,
Just a thought...They work as an Inverted V or "L" or Inverted "L" set-up also...so pick the best spot away from most "Junk" and give it a go.
All the Best
Gary

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-eoi-ayMP4As/VdSt5ggX9HI/AAAAAAAADiM/lTP5NPXS_ng/s1600/001-antena.jpg

Thx!

Well the tram antenna made it in today and I have to say first impressions are good so far. Best quality of parts and workmanship I've seen in a long time. Nicely machined parts, nice flush joints and even the hardware looks and feels good. I thought I'd seen somewhere that they are made in the good o'l USA but the box says made in Thailand. Not a total bust but I liked the idea of buying something American when it ordered it. So anyhow, I'll try to share some pictures tomorrow or the weekend of it's disassembled form for anyone that might be considering one. The real test will be when we put some fire in the wire though. I'll keep updating the thread as I move along.
How abouot an update

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated