• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TRAM D-201(Hand wired)?

SIX-SHOOTER

ICOM CENTRAL.7610,9100,PW-1,HEIL FIN & HEIL PR-781
Oct 2, 2010
Macclenny,Fla.
I have a local friend with a VERY nice looking TRAM D-201(hand wired)& it appears 100% operational other than TWO crystals that the gentleman who owned it wrote & put inside it before passing away.The note says NEEDS one 16.3115 crystal & one 16.5615 crystal.I know these crystals control channels 1-4 USB & channels 21-23 USB but wondered if anyone knew what would have caused these to FAIL & need replacing other than age? I think I am going to buy the rig as my MAIN BASE RIG since it has NOT blown ANY parts while being plugged in for several hours & is hearing well also.What would be a fair BALLPARK figure as far as price if this is all that is wrong with the rig?It looks VERY GOOD in appearance as well! This is the same mode I had 25 years ago & is tthe TOP of my list of WANTS in another CB base radio. (y)

Thanks for the imput & God bless,
SIX-SHOOTER

these radios can catch quite a high price, as those that have them know what they have, and those that want them are willing to pay for them.

if it all works well, it could well be worth over 400 dollars, but as a note of caution; many of the parts in these radios including the tubes, are obsolete and unless you have a stock of old parts or the cash and patience to find them; this can be a very expensive radio to own and operate.

here is a link to where the crystals you need can be found:
Tram 201/201A Crystal 16.3115 CH# 1 USB

Tram 201/201A Crystal 16.5615 CH# 21 USB

who knows why or if the two crystals went bad.
the original owner might have just stolen them for use in another radio.

owning an old base station is like owning a classic car. you either have to be able to do all the work yourself, or have the money to pay someone else to do it.
LC

Parts

I see PLENTY of parts on the web & knew about the two crystals you listed from the Barkett website for $14.99 each.The D-201's I see listed run from $145 to $699 but the latter is a JOKE in my opinion!Thanks for the imput.

SIX-SHOOTER

Hey Six Shooter,being the Tram D201 lover I am,Ive had 5 and am down to the 2 I wont get rid of.1 handwired with the vox,and 1 stand up board which is the next generation after the handwired.Both are awesome and I have plenty invested.I personally payed $500 for my handwired,but I got it from its origional owner in 100% perfect collector condition,the guy didnt have the box but he had the origional end caps for shipping.The inside as well as the outside looks like it just came off the assembly line.Never even plugged it in and off to my tech it went.$135.00 later for an allignment and tune up.$70 for shipping round trip.I now have what I can gaurantee to be one of the very nicest out there.
I was 1 willing to pay as loosecannon said.Ive seen people get lucky and win a bid at $150 for 1.I'd say the average is probably around $250 to $350 for a decent 1.
And as far as the crystal goes,really not a big deal cause Im sure the vfo is opened up to transmit on all 40.Just use that.Good luck and hope you enjoy.

TRAM D-201(HAND WIRED)

Hope to pick it up TODAY so I can hook it up & do some testing here in my shack.I am excited to get FIRST chance at this CLASSIC rig & am pretty sure at this time I will be the NEW owner VERY SOON! Just trying to figure where I will put it on my desk since it's MUCH larger than the UNIDEN "WASHINGTON" that is sitting on top of my ASTRON RS-70 power supply which will become my BACKUP rig if I'm able to buy the D-201.Thanks for the imput. :whistle:

GOD BLESS,
SIX-SHOOTER

I have to add my 2 cents worth. I wholeheartedly agree with LC on this one. I have a D201HW, and have had many others. I really like the tube rigs of the 60's and 70's, but I sure would not run one as a daily driver. I have too much respect for them to abuse them like that. ( and much too small of a wallet. :D)

TRAM D-201(Hand Wired)

Well I picked her up TODAY & have her on the air NOW! She is working GREAT on AM but USB & LSB has some issues.I have an AC HUM on receive but it goes away on transmit.The NON-Amplified D-104 has a bad cord so I borrowed a friends from his D-201A & it works VERY well.Shame that the D-104 looks really good but has a broken wire in the cord somewhere! I got a GOOD DEAL on the rig so I bought her so she has a NEW HOME that she can SHARE with me! I am looking for an "ORIGINAL" OWNERS MANUAL if you know where I can pick one up PLEASE let me know by IM.I am going to run her for a few weeks & see if any other issues arise before taking her in for an alignment & too have those two crystals installed so by then I should know what else needs adjustment.Can anyone tell me where two pots are located in the radio:R422 & R429 so I can adjust the S-meter? :unsure:

GOD BLESS,
SIX-SHOOTER

Service Manual Link

Tram Diamond Corp. Model D201

Might Help for now till you find the real copy...
The hum will be PS...the regulator and caps if original will be the place to start.
http://home.ptd.net/~n3cvj/dream.htm

Here's another good link I found...have not seen one in years...but this one had same problems as the one I worked on...always wanted one on 10m...but alas someone wanted it real bad!!!...after I worked on it!
All the Best
BJ

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.