• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tram D201A crack, pop, scritch fizzzz.

nomadradio

Analog Retentive
Apr 3, 2005
Louisville, KY
www.nomadradio.com
The Tram D201A has no shortage of quirky "gremlin" issues that crop up the first few days or week after a routine overhaul. Only after replacing the list of "usual suspects" will you find out how many other aches and pains the radio has.

Some of the most aggravating quirks are the "scritch" and crack/pop noises caused by one or the other kind of electrical connector. For now, we're focused on the 9-pin tube sockets mounted to the pc boards. The one 9-pin socket mounted to the metal chassis almost never goes bad, unless someone spills his drink on it.

But the sockets on the circuit boards are different. A glance at the spring contacts reveals a totally-different shape to the spring contacts. The factory tube sockets just lose spring temper and get loose. Don't know why, doesn't matter. You can't "fix" a loose tube socket and expect it to last very long.

For a while we were taking the metal ring loose from tube sockets built to mount in a steel chassis hole. Bending the pins would permit them to line up with the holes in the circuit board. A quarter-inch drill bit would countersink the center of the socket to make a #4 flat head screw lay flush, and serve to secure it to the circuit board.

The original sockets used the circuit boards's foil pads to hold them in place. Those foil pads are most likely coming loose from the G10 laminate once the old socket is removed. A screw down the center of the socket, secured to the center hole in the pc board will remove all the mechanical strain from the circuit board foils.

This socket from somebody on chinabay has a hole down the center, already countersunk just the right size for a #4 screw head. Can't remember who sold them to us. Finding an obscure electronic part on Ebay typically requires that you turn over a hundred rocks before finding one with the desired item under it.

PyJW3k.jpg

r3YjpR.jpg

Gotta get the old socket out first. Best to minimize the heat exposure to the foil pads. They tend to just peel away from the board's G10 laminate. Most efficient way I have found to do this is to simply crunch the brittle black plastic at each pin position with the tip of a diagonal wire cutter one by one.

Lcss4V.jpg

In some cases you may have room to just leave a socket's metal chassis-mount saddle ring where it is. But for V602 on the radio's audio board it's better to remove it first.

I52Lgc.jpg

Once all nine pins have had the plastic "crunched" it should be simple to pluck out the fractured plastic so the individual spring contacts can be gripped one by one to unsolder and pull loose. I have found the small dikes best tool to grab the spring contact that's being unsoldered.

dhXm5u.jpg

This tube, V602 is only half-used in the 40-channel radio. The triode section was driving the S-meter in the older models. Those three pins are just not connected to this socket. If the foils fall off, it won't cause any trouble.
IO0YIT.jpg

To date, since we started using chassis-mount style sockets to replace the original 9 and 7-pin pc board sockets none of them have come back with noise or intermittent troubles.

NKMXgk.jpg

So far, so good.

Unless one of these radios has under a couple thousand original miles, it's a safe bet that at least one of these sockets will prove to be noisy after the radio runs a couple of days.

The higher the mileage, the more of them will have to get changed.

They are a problem in the Trams. I've changed many myself over the years and have worked on many that have had them changed. I always run an old radio for at least a week before I'm satisfied with it and like you said it's always days after you think it's all set to go, more problems pop up. Many times it's a bad socket. You can try to bend the springs, bend the tube pins (which is not a good thing to do), and clean everything good but it usually never works for long if the springs are shot. You just gotta change the socket. I like the idea of using the screw through the center.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned