• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tram D201A Very low receive after using a pre-amp

This hobby has become an interesting process. I originally intended to set up a bench and restore stereo's and 2-way radio's. Something to keep my head engaged outside of daily life. A few years ago I aligned a local operators Cobra 139 as a favor to him (and others on air) and the amount of people wanting repairs blew up. Last year I had maybe 5+ radios here all the time from locals wanting everything from major repairs to an occasional recap and restore. I am now only taking one or 2 max at a time and there is a line of folks waiting. I've had to create a schedule and place folks in a que. I do enjoy it though. I would really be in trouble if it were not for all of you pouring your experience into me!!! I may need a hobby to get away from my hobby. Anyone know anything about fishing or golf :censored:......

Thanks everyone!!!!
Lkaskel,

As I am about to embark on a serious effort to get my D201A up and cranking I was scouring WWDx for references on them... and I happened across THIS posting.... and I wondered.........

are you still involved in being "the neighborhood repair guy" as you mention here? I am wondering if the same will happen on my end.... assuming that I am successful and mention that "success" to others..........

Thanks and I hope you are doing well.......

Lkaskel,

As I am about to embark on a serious effort to get my D201A up and cranking I was scouring WWDx for references on them... and I happened across THIS posting.... and I wondered.........

are you still involved in being "the neighborhood repair guy" as you mention here? I am wondering if the same will happen on my end.... assuming that I am successful and mention that "success" to others..........

Thanks and I hope you are doing well.......
Hi There,
I am still the area repair guy to a point. I had to take control of my time and what I was willing to take on. What I mean is that I am not currently taking on a radio that is butchered or the ask is some crazy mod. Also, I will not take 5 radios from an operator with the ask of getting to them when I can. It's interesting, a few years ago I was talking with Mike from Mikes Radio Repair and he shared with me how people would mail him 5 or 10 radios and not ask ahead of time. I had asked him how he managed his time and in his response I could tell that he was overwhelmed with the amount of radios he had in the que. While it never got that bad for me it was normal that someone would ask me to work on multiple radios and I will admit it was overwhelming at times. I do have a full time job that requires me to travel alot. There are now a few people in the area that are "working" on radios but it seems that most of that work is modifying newer radios as they are the thing to have now. I prefer to work on the vintage stuff although I will get an occasional Galaxy or Anytone with blown finals.....

I hope you enjoy working on them and you get to serve your radio community well!!! Thats really what I like about it. I would just rather not drink from the fire hose (if you know what I mean). A radio or 2 at a time works for me and without the amazing support of this group I would be lost!!

Reactions: Cable Guy
Same here, I only take on projects that interest ME! It's not for the money (and I do have a 60-70 hour a week job) I just cannot sit idle. It is something I have been interested in for over 50 years and cold weather does not work well with me doing the wife's "Outside Projects".
I keep thinking that some of these "refurb" projects I do I should donate/loan or sell but they become like adopting a stray dog. I have more radios than I can use and I am OK with that!!

David

Same here, I only take on projects that interest ME! It's not for the money (and I do have a 60-70 hour a week job) I just cannot sit idle. It is something I have been interested in for over 50 years and cold weather does not work well with me doing the wife's "Outside Projects".
I keep thinking that some of these "refurb" projects I do I should donate/loan or sell but they become like adopting a stray dog. I have more radios than I can use and I am OK with that!!

David
I am not a collector so many radios I buy and fix I sell back into the community. I really like the local operators I get to support and its my "ministry" to the community when I am able to do it. I try to keep the cost reasonable so they can afford it and I can continue to buy parts as needed.

Reactions: wavrider

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.