• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TRS 1400 base (Challenger) inside help - glue removal

Retro CB Guy

Jun 22, 2014
Hi, I'm basically researching this to help my local tech in advance so will possibly reduce labor costs for me and the threat of destroying coils and turning alignment parts inside because these radios have a special glue they used on top of most of the parts that might need to be adjusted for proper alignment for my radio...

He suggested Testors Model Glue Solvent of some kind that would be less harsh on the actual parts and remove the glue on the alignment pots or coils whatever the case may be... I'm having a hard time finding the proper one online already so I thought I would ask so you guys and (techs) that monitor this forum could give me some insight and help finding the proper solvent for removing that special glue on these parts without messing up the parts themselves !!!!!!!!

I always try to help my tech out in advance to make things run smoother and in this case perhaps reduce labor working on removing that special glue, plus the possibility of breaking some sensitive parts and he is very good at what he does but I still try to help and reduce any unforseen stuff from happening. I have alot of money in this radio and want things to run good for this alignment comming up on the 30th of September......

Please ANYONE in the know how to and properly get rid of that special glue they used in this radio without harming the actual parts, please respond asap with some details and or links or names of places where to get some solvent of some kind for less harsh stuff but that would do the trick on this !!!!

Again this is a TRS Challenger 1400 vintage big CB base that I just got and treasure it ALOT so please serious
answers and knowledgable people please respond ASAP - THANKS VERY MUCH in advance...

Retro 73's

The radio is in fine shape but it's off frequency too much now and that isn't acceptable...
I need to address that on my appointment on the 30th !!! I do agree with you Robb but it needs alignment BIG time for a balance on both LSB and USB and AM overall but on SSB I checked it with a reliable source being a tech I know and he thinks the alignment will take care of it but these folks that made the TRS Challengers put this special glue in there on those pots and stuff so I need to be in the know for absolute best solution as I already mentioned above...

Thank you, Retro ...

According to my tech who's been doing this for 35 plus years it's not the regular wax you see all the time. I bought a mobile TRS Challenger 460 and already took it to him which is in the same family of radios. Plus I saw in some write ups for mods some people mentioned about that stuff to remove first carefully not to damage the actual parts. So
I'm kinda at a loss right now what to buy but he's in the know more than me my tech, but I want the absolute best results and after paying over 500 bucks for this TRS Challenger 1400 I'm not about to be careless with it or half ass... I know you guys are
just trying to help and I appriciate that but I will try to get some clear pictures to post
here also as I've finally got some time off from work to do it so you can examine them !!

Retro (Jimbo)

Well I picked up some Goo Gone from Hobby Lobby, so hope that does the trick. But I hear it's pretty oily so very lil does it ...

UPDATE: If anybody else has issues with this or basically wants to save time by doing it right, here is a useful video by Mike on how to simplify things and going the right route first IMO.

Reactions: tecnicoloco

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.