• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Trying to find a post about the Magnum amp box conversion

BJB

Dec 7, 2010
I saw it the other day and can't seem to get a lock on it via YouTube, search, Google. It is a box with inbuilt amp with cast Magnum heat sink on the base.. Think it was for front mount mikes only. The radio mounts into the box. Power supply is then hard wired through the back of the radio.

Anyone got a link.

Anyone done the conversion?

Results?

I saw it the other day and can't seem to get a lock on it via YouTube, search, Google. It is a box with inbuilt amp with cast Magnum heat sink on the base.. Think it was for front mount mikes only. The radio mounts into the box. Power supply is then hard wired through the back of the radio.

Anyone got a link.

Anyone done the conversion?

Results?

Are you thinking about the SX-175 by Magnum Int'l?

Magnum SX-175 Power Cabinet

Magnum SX-175-3 Review - YouTube

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I have not done the conversion. In the video I linked the guy mentioned wasn't as easy as woulda hoped. Kinda wish he woulda been more informative. Also looking at the amp I dont see why you couldn't do a side mic conversion with a little trimming of the case. Maybe I am wrong here.
After doing a bit more reading apparently this little amp needs 35-40 watts of input power to get it to work correctly.
So I don't have much help for you. Sorry.
Maybe someone will come along that has done this upgrade.

3 Models - Different Microphone Jack Cutouts in Cabinets
SX-175-3 for S-3175 (no cutouts in cabinet for side microphone jacks)
SX-175-6 for S-6175 (cutout on right side of cabinet for microhone jack)
SX-175-9 for S-9175 (cutouts on both sides of cabinet for microphone jacks)

Just pick the one you need, no experience installing one here.
They seem to be in short supply, i see them here and there, but it seems they are always out of stock.

Jeff

Site Disclaimer - Custom CB radios

Page says they have 2 in stock, so you would have to call about to see for what radio ( no mike, left side,right side)
Also, this note at the bottom of the page.....

Comes with instructions for installation in the box.

Note: There is skill involved in installing these if you are not experienced with RF circuits do not try to install this in you radio..

We are NOT responsible for any damage to your radio due to you installation of this device.

If you Go to CB Tricks, you can find the Install for the EPT 3600 Boards , and Galaxy 939, 949, 959 radios

http://www.cbtricks.com/miscellaneous/accessories/magnum/sx_175/index.htm
It doesn't look that bad.

Jeff

Reactions: 1 person
Hey ASW why does this thing need such a high drive to work? Well I think 50 watts is high, guess dont mean that it is.

Never mind its not deadkey watts I am thinking of but PEP watts. or something like that. However I dont see why someone couldnt make this work on something other then a Magnum/RF radio.

Last edited:
You can put them on other radios as far as I know, the procedure for RCI manufactured 10 meter amateur transceivers (RCI, Galaxy,
Superstar, Connex, General, etc.) with the EPT3600 series main circuit board is one of the instruction pages on CBTricks.

Mosfet`s do not have vary high gain...they take more drive.

Jeff

3 versions of the sx175

if you check on a search engine and ask for the 3 versions of the sx175 youll find all the diff chasises youll need for almost any radio that has the ept3600 main boards, CBTricks has a install page for the sx175 also. hope this helps. G.R.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.