• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Trying to help a friend (Palomar amp issue)

guitar_199

Mar 8, 2011
Deer Park, TX
The model we are talking about is the Palomar DX200B.

The problem.... right above the LOW/MED/HIGH switch is a little board with a resistor that has 8 and 2 as the first bands.
A cap shorted an smoked that resistor and it LITERALLY burned the multiplier band OFF to where you can't read it. It is gone!!!!

I can't find information anywhere on this thing. I did find one "link" that said it had it..... and literally wound up looking at a pic my wife wouldn't like!!!!! :O

If anybody has any info or better yet.... actually has one.... I'd sure appreciate a hand.

I know that the first two are Grey-Red so it is 82 ohm, 820 ohm, 8.2K, 82K, 820K, 8.2M????????

Thanks!
Bob

The model we are talking about is the Palomar DX200B.

The problem.... right above the LOW/MED/HIGH switch is a little board with a resistor that has 8 and 2 as the first bands.
A cap shorted an smoked that resistor and it LITERALLY burned the multiplier band OFF to where you can't read it. It is gone!!!!

I can't find information anywhere on this thing. I did find one "link" that said it had it..... and literally wound up looking at a pic my wife wouldn't like!!!!! :O

If anybody has any info or better yet.... actually has one.... I'd sure appreciate a hand.

I know that the first two are Grey-Red so it is 82 ohm, 820 ohm, 8.2K, 82K, 820K, 8.2M????????

Thanks!
Bob
Measure it....it may offer a clue even when burned.

It's a 50-ohm circuit where these resistors live, so my money is on eighty-two ohms.

All the other choices are way too much higher resistance than 50 ohms to be likely.

A value of 8.2 ohms would be too small to make much of a high/low difference.

Can you post a picture of the board?

If it is a PI attenuator, having an 8.2Ω series resistor with 580Ω shunt resistors will get you about 1.5dB attenuation with 50Ω in and out. I don't think the 8.2Ω should be ruled out quite yet. But I am just guessing its a Pi attenator...

Edit: For a high-med-low (three steps) arrangement, 1.5dB makes sense as that represents a 30% reduction of the signal.

Last edited:
Reactions: walterjn

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.