• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TS-2000 + SDRplay the merging

KD2GOE

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
May 30, 2013
Buffalo
ok so I have the software working with HDSDR and my TS-2000 so I can point and click and the radio snaps to that Freq or tune the VFO and the program Tracks so that is pretty sweet.
Now I need to split my Antenna from my Kenwood to the SDRplay two things that stink 1 I can get a MFJ-1708 but that's Freaking $100 and two i have 2 antenna ports.
I was thinking I can tap in to the RX path of the TS-2000 so I don't Transmit in to the SDRplay and smoke it..

I was looking at the schematic and i can tap in before or after the first Preamp?
or I can tap in after the bad-pass filers on the lower board near the first preamp. I was thinking tapping just after the bad pass filters might be a good ida unless there is some freq mixing going on there. In that case i can go back to tapping in around the first preamp.

You can tap the IF after the band filter would be nice so the SDR reacts to any radio filter adjustments.

If you don't want to mod the radio, the MFJ box didn't work well for me on my Icom 7000, I went with the ELAD box and it works flawlessly.

You might want to try SDRUno which is free too. I like this best but occasionally use SDR console.

Youll need to download Omnirig to have your SDR software follow your radio and vice-versa. This is a free download and runs in the background.

Check out my gallery pics for screenshots using my TS-590SG with SDRUno, Kenwood rig control, and HRD. I use a virtual com port software to run multiple programs simultaneously.

The Kenwood 590SG comes with a SDR connection jack so no mods are necessary .

You'll like using SDR play as a panadapter far more than any modern SDR type radio and it's way cheaper too!

Good luck.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
yeah i have Omnirig working and every thing.. i did try SDRUno but it annoys me that there all in there own window..

well i was not going to "MOD" the radio more like just "Sample the RF" with the SDR i dont want to cut traces or add boards i just want to solder a wire off a component or a test point

kMJMDUv.jpg

Last edited:
Well it's in and working! only thing i am waiting for now is a SMA panel mount connector to make it look like a clean install in the back..
I used the The PAT V RF Tap Board From https://kd2c.com/

12/10 meters is a little def there is 2 places the guy that sells the board you can tap off from after the first amp 1 has a 5.5k Resistor in it and I picked the more conservative rough..

7KiGJHn.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
WTG!

Working on SMT isn't my forte. The IF tap mod on my TS590S was a bit easier. I also put a panel mount SMA jack on the radio rear panel. I eventually sold that radio and went with the newer SG model that requires no mod for adding a SDR receiver.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.