• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ts-940s dots on display unit

Hopefully this will help. Here is a part of the thread. There is more to read but this happened to resolve the person's problem.

Thanks for reading. Just this weekend, my TS-940S/AT started acting very strange. The digital display started going from normal to "dots" and back again.
The TS-940 has a history of problems after the radio has been "unused" for long periods of time. I owned one for over 12 years and have worked on numerous others. Usually the problem is simply a connector inside that is not making good contact or has some corrosion. My first step would be to remove all the covers and fold down the face of the radio and "re-seat" all connectors that you can get to. That includes all the small coax cables that plug-in on the bottom side of the radio boards. Be very careful in handling some of these very small connectors and wires and insure that all wires are out of the way before replacing covers, etc.

However, I'd say to start with the connectors going to/from the "digital" board that is just under the top cover. The components of the board are enclosed in a metal cover - all connectors run around the perimeter of the board. Un-seat and re-seat all of them several times (which wipes the connection).

Sometimes the RAM back-up battery goes south (mine did after long storage) and makes funny things happen. I replaced mine with a similar (but not exact replacement size-wise) one from Radio Shack.

Also be aware of the "reset". Press and hold A=B key as you power up the radio to clear any bogus data that may be in the RAM (caused by, you guessed it, a bad battery).

Well, I removed the covers, dropped the face down and reseated the connecters. I just powered the radio on and everything is working right!!!

Thanks for making my day guys...I really appreciate it!
You saved me a trip to the repair shop and several $$$.

Thanks to eHam.net for providing this forum, also - IT WORKS.
And another's

Well here it is March 2006 I fixed my TS-940S display problem by what was suggested here, Droping the faceplate & resteting all connectors. I had exact problem discribed here and fixed problem by suggestions
here. Thanks for the help from 2002. Glad eham maintains these groups.
Thank You!
http://www.eham.net/forums/Elmers/20119

Click on the image attachment. It is a notice from Kenwood that also may help.

Attachments

• ASB0951A TS-940S Erratic Display (Remove The ROM Socket) .JPG
    ASB0951A TS-940S Erratic Display (Remove The ROM Socket) .JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 500
AAAHHH yes the common dredded dots on display. Whats happening is the PLL is unlocking these boards in alot of the older Kenwood radios are ending up doing this but hey take the age into consideration sometimes pushing around on the board will bring the full display back but again it will do this.

I had a TS-440s that did this aswell and I pushed around on the board to get it down to the general area on where to start reheating solder joints if yo have a local tech or amateur shop to take it to for a complete going through you wont regret doing so. The radio wil;l once again be perfect and trouble free after this going through by a certified Tech because there is actually a checklist of things rthat need attention or they will eventually one by one start accurring which is extremely frustrating let me tell ya.

Burghardt Amateur Center in WEatertown South Dakots is great with this type of work on the older radios that most shops dont even want to really mess with anymore 1-800-927-4261 ask for Bob in the service department he can enlighten you on whats usually trouble on these . Like I mentioned theres a list of things that evetually happen to these in time I have info here but by the time I found it you could most likely have it fixed LOL.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.