• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TS350 deadkey questions

CB590

W9WDX Member
Jun 29, 2016
Trenton Nj
www.590dx.com
I have a TS350HDV that I bought used has HG2879's.

Running 13.8vdc. on channel 17 or higher I am at 1:1-1 SWR on 3 different meters.

With 2w do I get like 110w deadkey.

Can anyone confirm what the TS350 should be putting out at dk with 2w input??

Seems to swing fine on SSB and with good whistle I get a 8-9 on relative on the TS350 RF meter and peg the 300w on the MFJ crossneedle..

I would suggest pushing in the green button. This will reduce the drive level a bit.

Good chance it will sound better, as well.

What kind of radio are you using with it? The peak output of the radio is just as important as the AM carrier.

First a McKinley, then a Cobra 148, then a Ranger RCI 2950CD with power knob all the way down and no tune-up... Last one seemed to work great but at 1.5-2w dk read like 105-110w on MFJ822 as a DK, hence my question.

On SSB it rocked at say noon power level.. also got good reports on both modes..

With button in an 2w DK I got 55w or so.. SWR is 1:1-1 for channels say 16-40 and then some on the A99.. on Channel 1 I am at 1.2-1.3:1 or so..

I mainly run high channels..

I took the MFJ-941e out of the picture.

Now on AM S-Low on Alinco DXSR-8T I get 1.5-1.75w DK and 60-65 with amp on, the MFJ822 is the meter..

On AM Low I get a hair over 10w DK and 210w DK with quick keyup.

On SSB on Low on Alinco I get 10w key up with 1khz tone from phone and same 210w for a carrier. My voice has the meter swinging 90-110w on the MFJ822 meter. Much like the RCI.

Those numbers don't look horrible, other than the am low numbers. It is impossible to calculate pep with the equipment you have, so we could only guess.

Basically you are back where you started and have no idea what your output is.

I took the MFJ-941e out of the picture.

Now on AM S-Low on Alinco DXSR-8T I get 1.5-1.75w DK and 60-65 with amp on, the MFJ822 is the meter..

On AM Low I get a hair over 10w DK and 210w DK with quick keyup.

On SSB on Low on Alinco I get 10w key up with 1khz tone from phone and same 210w for a carrier. My voice has the meter swinging 90-110w on the MFJ822 meter. Much like the RCI.
Can't use an antenna when making power adjustments; need a dummy load!

Reactions: Tallman
2w=110w would be expected, but it is not correct.

Going to crank down the 2950CD when it gets back from warranty repair.

Ordering a dummy load too..

I think 1-1.25w DK for AM may work best with swing up from that..

I run mostly sideband and have had excellent reports swinging up from 0-20w on the MFJ822 meter.. my voice is about 12-15w on the meter usually..

Now the question is how do you know if you are driving the amp too hard. It has been so long since I have looked at swing on an average meter that I can't remember where it should be. I'm thinking much over 200 watts out would be over driving.

On SSB I can get full output from a TS250/350 HDV with 8-10 watts drive, seems to work and sound great like that. On AM I try to keep the AM input dead key at 1.5-2 watts and I think my Madison swings 9 watts.

Well I broke down and ordered a Ranger TR-296 today. Seller has scope and such gear (ham) and setting my AM deadkey to 1.5w for me as well as reconfirming frequency stability. Only mod was clarifier opened and aligned for TX/RX..

Screenshot_20190307-143847.png

Has a 2SC1969 final in it and nothing clipped. So swing should be normal.

He is also going to send me the PEP swing as well with the 1.5w dk in place..

Cobra 29 back from DTB. He supposedly set a 2w dk for me.. on my meter it shows as 1.5w.. with the TS350 on I get a flat 70w dk.. which is better than 105-110w I was getting..

Really need that dummy load..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.