• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TS500v.. SSB radio?

If you're planning on working the 10M band at some point, I'd go with the RCI 2950DX and have the power turned down on SSB to about 20W on the high power setting. That's all that a T/S 500 needs for good, clean output.

If you don't mind a used radio, a good radio is the President HR2510/2600/2830, or a Lincoln. Same applies with this radio, have the power turned down a little.

If you're going to work just the CB band, go with a good ol' Cobra 148 GTL. Common, easy to find, plenty of good mods out there for them, and good stable SSB output.

Of course, this is just my .02 worth, but do your research, and you'll be fine. If you go with the export stuff, just have the power turned down to about 20W PEP SSB, and you're good. Enjoy!

~Cheers~

Reactions: 1 person
Well at this point I do plan on getting my Ham Ticket so I'd like to prepare for the future by getting a 10m radio.

Im looking heavily at the Optima and 2950, but just read a few pages about the Mag 257hp..however no one has mentioned that radio yet so it must not be up to par with the two mentioned above.

I had a mosfet 257 just prior to them making the "HP" It was good for running 1 band but tuning and jumping around I didn't really like. I like the optima as there is no band switch to play with when changing freqs, just the vfo.

Yeah I Gotcha there.

One thing I failed to mention was that this is goin in my truck. So ease of operation is key. Right now I'm limited to AM with my Uniden and am usually manually scanning the channels for activity.

The two things Im not a huge fan of about the 2950 is appearance and size. It's boring to look at and a little big, however that wouldn't cause me to not buy the radio... just my opinions.

I may send DD18 a pm asking about warranty and how its addressed being that he's over seas.. has anyone had to send one off yet?

Also I'm still in search of a good seller and tech for a 2950. DTB radios has had some nice comments but I've found the 2950 for $225 other places where as he wants $300 for one.

Also I'm still in search of a good seller and tech for a 2950. DTB radios has had some nice comments but I've found the 2950 for $225 other places where as he wants $300 for one.

Something to consider.

There are lots of cb techs in the country.

There are few decent techs in the country.

There are fewer still who are great techs.

There are fewer still who are competent with surface mount technology radios like the 2950.

This site represents the radio spectrum from beginner to advanced, from 20 wpm extra class hams to keydown competitors. DTB is the most recommended shop on this site.

Reactions: 1 person
I have the Mosfet version of the original Magnum 257. That is a nice little radio. Never had issues with mine, until I lost the original mic for it... I had to put a mic on it that uses a dynamic element... those 257's do not like those dynamic elements. They were designed to run the condenser elements. Other than the mic thing. it's a solid performer, stays right on frequency, stable SSB output. Small and compact.

However, I don't know much about the 257HP, but there's no point to getting a 257 HP when you have to turn the output down to run the T/S 500... save the money and get a standard dual final radio, rather than get something that does 70-100W and have to turn it down to run the amp.

~Cheers~

My Optima still has the seals on. Ran it in my old truck with an Icom hm-36 mic into a dx500 amp then to a wilson 5000 hardmounted. Never had a problem at all. Solid set-up for mobile, local talking and dx. When I had the urge to go 10 metres, I had a second coil / whip I would stop and change out. Now on the new truck, no amp but a whip that lets me get the full range of the radio without crazy swr. Only way I would take it out of the mobile would be to replace it with a TS 480 HX.

Thanks for all the replies fellas!

I've emialed Dave asking him a couple questions on the Optima, so I'm just waiting to hear back. I'm leaning hard towards that radio.

Will he need to modify it to run with my amp? or does out of the box configuration work?

If I do go with a 2950 I'll be calling DTB or Bells.

I cannot recommend the Optima Mk II (or III) enough, especially for amateur use. I have tried EVERY export radio on the market and by far it is the best for-dual use (10M/11M). It is highly competent on 11M (but not a super-screamer), and excellent on 10M. It even tunes and behave like a true HF radio. Listen, I have a Yaesu FT857D in the mobile, and I still use the Optima on 10 (and on 11M when I need to). It's easy to use, and does everything I need. Oh, and I drive four 2SC2879's with it too, and it's a good match. And I too use the Icom HM-36 mic with it and get superb audio reports. Microprocessor controlled so it's rock stable. It covers 24.500 through 29.995, has actual splits and you can access 10M repeaters with it. The only thing it lacks is a CTCSS board, but you can get an after-market board for it. The only thing better would be an actual HF radio.

The radio is relatively small compared to an RCI so it fits better in my crowded car.

I love mine. I have the Mk I but anticipate getting a Mk III very soon.

I cannot recommend the Optima Mk II (or III) enough, especially for amateur use. I have tried EVERY export radio on the market and by far it is the best for-dual use (10M/11M). It is highly competent on 11M (but not a super-screamer), and excellent on 10M. It even tunes and behave like a true HF radio. Listen, I have a Yaesu FT857D in the mobile, and I still use the Optima on 10 (and on 11M when I need to). It's easy to use, and does everything I need. Oh, and I drive four 2SC2879's with it too, and it's a good match. And I too use the Icom HM-36 mic with it and get superb audio reports. Microprocessor controlled so it's rock stable. It covers 24.500 through 29.995, has actual splits and you can access 10M repeaters with it. The only thing it lacks is a CTCSS board, but you can get an after-market board for it. The only thing better would be an actual HF radio.

The radio is relatively small compared to an RCI so it fits better in my crowded car.

I love mine. I have the Mk I but anticipate getting a Mk III very soon.
Sounds like you like the Optima but cannot recommend using it. Hmmm.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?