• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

tTo xtal or not to xtal

redlght

Feb 1, 2013
Hi folks been gone a while found this old bookmark thought i would drop by and say howdy. Found this radio on fleabay some thing for your amusement was in the sold list for $2,700 ...A cobra 2000gtl check out the board is it me or this thing missing X3 (11.3258) ,,how the heck would it work lol

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    342.6 KB · Views: 32

If a channel kit with two extra-band crystals is wired where the crystal used to be, that would explain it. Typically you were told to remove your channel 1-40 crystal and install it on the kit with the upper band crystal and lower band crystal. Two wires went from the kit to the circuit board pads where you removed the factory crystal.

The most popular of these by far was called the "Expo 100" or just "Expo" kit. A whole list of different versions were sold to match all the wacky crystal setups found in older radios. They were discontinued some time back, but an outfit called "lescomm" sells a modern-day version for a handful of different radios.

http://lesterscustoms.com/cobra_2000_kit_inst

Reactions: tecnicoloco
This crop from your pic shows the oval outline of a quartz crystal, labeled "X3".

bVXv4n.jpg

A missing quartz crystal. A channel kit will have two wires, one of each soldered to two foil pads underneath this crystal outline.

If you find no wires, what you need is the 11.3258 MHz crystal that someone has pirated from this radio.

Or an equivalent replacement.

Ok i wasn't really looking to trouble shoot a photo of a radio from the net was just a thing that gave me a chuckle and i shared, my mistake. 73's

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated