• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tube Amp for 11 meters

SmackDown

I have a Nitro 300 made by Transel. Old unit using sweep tubes. D/K's (for me) 275, swings 350 rms. I would like to have a unit with a D/K of 500 (or a little more) and swing to @ 1kW > 1.2kW on AM. And I want to avoid sweep tubes. I know most responses will lean toward the DC comp builders' ( I'll not name any brand ) AC boxes but I don't want to go that route. Is there a brand out there that will do what I mentioned above and maybe 2kW on SSB, ( AB1 biased with filtering of course ) or am I limited to sweep tube technology on this ?

73's

SmackDown said:
I have a Nitro 300 made by Transel. Old unit using sweep tubes. D/K's (for me) 275, swings 350 rms. I would like to have a unit with a D/K of 500 (or a little more) and swing to @ 1kW > 1.2kW on AM. And I want to avoid sweep tubes. I know most responses will lean toward the DC comp builders' ( I'll not name any brand ) AC boxes but I don't want to go that route. Is there a brand out there that will do what I mentioned above and maybe 2kW on SSB, ( AB1 biased with filtering of course ) or am I limited to sweep tube technology on this ?

73's

I hade a Nitro 300 made by Transel. nice units and mine was modded a bit but still couldn't do 1kw.lol

you can try a Heathkit SB220. I have one an keyup at 500 and swing 1000 or more on 11 meters it has to EZ-500 tubes in it.

I sure there be more posts on better tube amps....
Peace

If you're talking about AM and something around 1000 watts output, forget the SB-220, or any of the 3-500 type amplifiers, they just ain't gonna do it (4 tubes, maybe, big maybe!). Start looking at tubes with a plate dissipation capability in the 2 or 3 thousand watt range.
- 'Doc

I didn't look for a price for the 'Emtron', I'm not real sure I want to know, even if I am sitting down! The thing to remember is that there are no 'free lunches'. That applies to both cost and abilities. Sort of like taking a supercharged, fuel injected 'Briggs&Stratton' on the NASCAR circuit. Just not much chance of taking home a trophy... at least not the one most people are after. :)
- 'Doc

W5LZ said:
I didn't look for a price for the 'Emtron', I'm not real sure I want to know, even if I am sitting down! The thing to remember is that there are no 'free lunches'. That applies to both cost and abilities. Sort of like taking a supercharged, fuel injected 'Briggs&Stratton' on the NASCAR circuit. Just not much chance of taking home a trophy... at least not the one most people are after. :)
- 'Doc

I agree 'Doc that there are no 'free lunches'. But I personally can't justify spending that kind of money on an amplifier that will be used strictly on 11 meters. I think the less pricey Heathkit SB-220 is sufficient for use on 11 meters.

Actually when I posted the info about the amps I forgot what section we were in and that the request was for 11m only. I was thinking we were in the Amateur Radio forum. :oops:

Yeah those amps are a bit pricy for 11m use. Oh how I would love to have either one in my ham shack however,especially the Emtron. ;)

datsun66 said:
What's a real kick is talking to Vermont from Montana with only 100 watts.

You want a REAL kick? Try talking with 100 watts from Nova Scotia to Rodrigues Island via long path WHILE MOBILE. It's a mere 15,000 miles. Been there.Done that. Am ecstatic about it. ;) Of course being on 20m at the time helps. ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned