• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

tube amp trouble

mrmagoolew

Sep 13, 2008
I have an old tube amp that I've been working on. It's a SOS Electronics Cadet 150B. I had added a fan to try to keep the tubes cool, and when I fired it up, I have no output. The tubes are glowing, and are getting pretty orange and hot. When I turn the tune and load knobs, nothing is happening on my meter. This is my first tube amp that I have that I have even gotten close to working, and I was wondering if I'm doing something wrong, or if something else might be happening. Can anyone help me? Lew

do you have the transmit switch in the on position?it should say transmit/stby

do you hear a click of a relay when you key up?if not check transmit switch again.if still nothing the transmit relay isnt working.

if you hear a click but still no output .the relay could be very dirty and not passing the signal.

if you dont know what your doing inside one ,dont go pokin around in there...your done.

post your findings

Lew,
Considering what you've said, and speaking only from a safety point of view, the absolute best advice I can think of is to keep your fingers out of that amplifier. Any tube type amplifier/device deals with very high voltages that really are lethal. If you don't know what you are doing... DON'T 'play' with it.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.