• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

tube box drive pill box or vice versa

fatboy

Aug 8, 2010
Im by far not knowledgeable enought to advise anyone on this but late last night [skip] i heard 2 guys ,1 was telling the other how to set it up and how good it was going to work and sound just like his. All of this over the radio ,and im like if he unplugs a jumper to early you know , just could not believe he was walking him through step by step on this. And then they just faded out,but ive always been told you could not mix amps can someone tell me anything different . Thanks for any replys .

fatboy

Right and all your feeding in is drive power which is all it is doesnt matter if its a solidstate or tube box ;)

If Im not mistaken I seem to recall a local who had a problem with this. I think someone cured it for him. I remember him explaining it was because the input jack on the tube box was at b- and not 0 and he was using a transistor box to drive it?... Does this sound correct anyone? Shockwave? there was something about the difference in potential that caused an issue.

I thought it was cured by changing the tube amp or by putting the driver on a dual rail supply... I dunno.

who knows, it could all be BS.

My instinct tells me its fine to do whatever because I have and do.

Im by far not knowledgeable enought to advise anyone on this but late last night [skip] i heard 2 guys ,1 was telling the other how to set it up and how good it was going to work and sound just like his. All of this over the radio ,and im like if he unplugs a jumper to early you know , just could not believe he was walking him through step by step on this. And then they just faded out,but ive always been told you could not mix amps can someone tell me anything different . Thanks for any replys .

fatboy

Hams use solidstate radios to drive tube amps all the time. Some even use tube radios to drive solidstate amps too. It doesn't matter in the slightest as long as the radio is able to properly switch the amp into TX mode.

What you are thinking of is running an old school tube radio with a tube amp thats run by a foot pedal. You key the mic and then put the pedal down, when done talking you have to get off the pedal and then un-key the mic. With tube on tube if your timing is off no big deal. With a transistor radio if your foot stays down when you un-key the radio bad things happen.

What you are thinking of is running an old school tube radio with a tube amp thats run by a foot pedal. You key the mic and then put the pedal down, when done talking you have to get off the pedal and then un-key the mic. With tube on tube if your timing is off no big deal. With a transistor radio if your foot stays down when you un-key the radio bad things happen.

Say what?

Depends, if the solid state amplifier is Class-C and the tube amplifier is Class-ab1 or ab then while operating is ssb mode you'll be outputting Class-C and that won't sound so good, While is am (cb) mode it shouldn't be of any consequence.

Depends, if the solid state amplifier is Class-C and the tube amplifier is Class-ab1 or ab then while operating is ssb mode you'll be outputting Class-C and that won't sound so good, While is am (cb) mode it shouldn't be of any consequence.
Say what?

You key the mic and then put the pedal down, when done talking you have to get off the pedal and then un-key the mic. With tube on tube if your timing is off no big deal. With a transistor radio if your foot stays down when you un-key the radio bad things happen.

Just to make sure I understand, are you saying it is bad for the radio, or the Amp?

I have ran several Tube Amps with Transistor radios, and never had a problem as far as the radio is concerned. If you are driving a lot of input into the amp, I would close the relay first...a lot of the old tube amps do not use vacuum relays and I would not want a load on the contacts when they close, and I would UN-key the radio/driver before I open the foot switch, this increases the chance of pitting the contacts.

Jeff

( on Edit:
Went back a re read my post and I had it worded in a way that it might be confusing.)

There are more than a few hybrid rigs with tube finals.

Maybe I don't understand the ?, but some like to make operating a radio sound like an esoteric process, much more complicated than it needs to be.

Say what?

gayparrotx.jpg

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.