• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

tube box drive pill box or vice versa

Just to make sure I understand, are you saying it is bad for the radio, or the Amp?

I have ran several Tube Amps with Transistor radios, and never had a problem as far as the radio is concerned. If you are driving a lot of input into the amp, I would close the relay first...a lot of the old tube amps do not use vacuum relays and I would not want a load on the contacts when they close, and I would UN-key the radio/driver before I open the foot switch, this increases the chance of pitting the contacts.

I'll buy this. You can key a transistor radio right through a tube box, or you can key it all up at once. I'd also be aware of "pitting" on the relay contactors, but there is no other "detriment", or catastrophic failure that I'm aware of.

Depends, if the solid state amplifier is Class-C and the tube amplifier is Class-ab1 or ab then while operating is ssb mode you'll be outputting Class-C and that won't sound so good, While is am (cb) mode it shouldn't be of any consequence.
While "shit in = shit out", the last amp in-line dictates the class of operation.

If Im not mistaken I seem to recall a local who had a problem with this. I think someone cured it for him. I remember him explaining it was because the input jack on the tube box was at b- and not 0 and he was using a transistor box to drive it?... Does this sound correct anyone? Shockwave? there was something about the difference in potential that caused an issue.

I thought it was cured by changing the tube amp or by putting the driver on a dual rail supply... I dunno.

who knows, it could all be BS.

My instinct tells me its fine to do whatever because I have and do.

If the tube box had it's RF input connector at any DC voltage other then zero, it means the DC blocking cap on the input is shorted or missing. This would allow bias voltage to arrive at the input. If you drive that amp with something that appears as an open to DC it would work fine. Most equipment has the output at DC ground and this would short the negative bias on that tube amp without the blocking cap.

One thing I would like to add for those situations where you use a transistor driver on a tube amp. One bag of garbage in is 20 bags of garbage out. If you choose a transistor driver make sure it's of good quality, don't overdrive it, and consider a low pass filter between it and the final amp. When designed and operated correctly there is no difference in sound quality between the tube driver and the transistor one. The main advantage the tube has is high power in a single device.

:laugh: , so you're saying a tube amp in the last position will change a class-c amps non-biased status?
Nope, I didn't say that at all. A class C driver will always be class C. If you run that class C driver into a class AB-1 tube amp for example, your final class of operation will be AB-1. But again, shit in = shit out regardless of class of operation.

"
Quote:
You key the mic and then put the pedal down, when done talking you have to get off the pedal and then un-key the mic. With tube on tube if your timing is off no big deal. With a transistor radio if your foot stays down when you un-key the radio bad things happen.
Just to make sure I understand, are you saying it is bad for the radio, or the Amp?

I have ran several Tube Amps with Transistor radios, and never had a problem as far as the radio is concerned. If you are driving a lot of input into the amp, I would close the relay first...a lot of the old tube amps do not use vacuum relays and I would not want a load on the contacts when they close, and I would UN-key the radio/driver before I open the foot switch, this increases the chance of pitting the contacts. "

I'm just going by what I can remember an old timer told me maybe 10 years ago. The guy has passed away but he used to build tube amplifiers and service tube radio's. Most of his big tubers had a foot pedal. I thought it could damage the transistor radio if you had the pedal down and un-keyed the radio. He preferred tube driving tube with a foot pedal.

Nope, I didn't say that at all. A class C driver will always be class C. If you run that class C driver into a class AB-1 tube amp for example, your final class of operation will be AB-1. But again, shit in = shit out regardless of class of operation.

Talking out both sides of your neck as usual. Class-c in Class-c out

I have to Dis-agree...
If the Class C driver is CREATING distortion, the Class AB final amp will simply take that distorted signal and increase it.....the "class of operation" of the final amp will not change.. (Distortion is "created by using" a class c amp as a driver)..I think this is what 359 meant when he said..
"Donkey Poo in = Donkey Poo out"

Agreed?

Jeff

If the tube box had it's RF input connector at any DC voltage other then zero, it means the DC blocking cap on the input is shorted or missing. This would allow bias voltage to arrive at the input. If you drive that amp with something that appears as an open to DC it would work fine. Most equipment has the output at DC ground and this would short the negative bias on that tube amp without the blocking cap.
Good Input......So if the Amp is poorly built/damaged ( missing/shorted DC blocking cap) it "could cause damage to the transceiver"
On a properly built/operating amp, It should be no problem?
I have a tube amp that I run regularly that is switched manually and i always close the relay before keying the radio, never had a problem.
I used to have a old "Sky Hook" Amp that the relay was actually closed by contacts in the Mic......kind of crude, but it worked.

Jeff

I have to Dis-agree...
If the Class C driver is CREATING distortion, the Class AB final amp will simply take that distorted signal and increase it.....the "class of operation" of the final amp will not change.. (Distortion is "created by using" a class c amp as a driver)..I think this is what 359 meant when he said..

Agreed?

Jeff

Agreed.

If you take a SBB transistor radio, drive it into a class C transistor driver amplifier and then into class AB-1 tube final amplifier, none of the classes of operation will change. Your final class of operation will still be AB-1 and your driver stage will still be C (and the radio probably B, I dunno). You can't change that.

HOWEVER, distortion created by the class C driver will then be amplified by the AB-1 final. You can most certainly have a "dirty" AB-1 signal, and this is one way to do it, but that doesn't mean that the class of operation has changed. You'll just have a cleaner, dirty signal, lol.

Understand now?

Im by far not knowledgeable enought to advise anyone on this but late last night [skip] i heard 2 guys ,1 was telling the other how to set it up and how good it was going to work and sound just like his. All of this over the radio ,and im like if he unplugs a jumper to early you know , just could not believe he was walking him through step by step on this. And then they just faded out,but ive always been told you could not mix amps can someone tell me anything different . Thanks for any replys .

fatboy

It has already been said RF is RF.
If your theory was true driving a tube amplifier with a solid state radio would cause issues and the same goes for driving a tube radio into a solid state amplifier. Just another CB myth.

I have to Dis-agree...

Agreed?

Jeff

So I would be txing Doo,dOO in class ab-1, lol, good point so why do it is the next ?

So I would be txing Doo,dOO in class ab-1, lol, good point so why do it is the next ?

LoL....Why to do it?
One should not....but often it happens.
Class C Amps are very available on the internet, and the price is almost always lower than a better built class ab amp.....a lot of guys can not tell the difference,and some just do not care.
It is good that we debate this topic, over time it helps to dispense with a lot of BS that gets posted on the interneck.

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.